Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Choppy video in Maverick

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Angry Choppy video in Maverick

Everything was OK when I first installed the Maverick release candidate. After some updates, video got choppy, as if my laptop didn't have enough memory to play it. Video also gets really messed up sometimes, and the image stops for a second, and it gets pixelized, and I can hear the last words of the movie repeated. Or I start a movie, and it starts at a point that is not the beginning, or completely freezes.

Not a Compiz problem, because I disable it but I still have the problem.

What can be causing this?

My laptop is an Acer Aspire 5738
    Processor: Intel Core Duo T6500 @ 2.10 GHz
    RAM: 3024 MB
    Intel Integrated Graphics

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Choppy video in Maverick

what media player are you using? Might be worth trying a few like smplayer (<- my personal favourite), VLC, etc and see if the problem is the player, or if its something else (probably video driver related?). Also try different movie formats.

Lastly, make sure you dont have any processes that have gone out of control hogging cpu or ram. Check system monitor or top.

Beans
    Distro

Also experiencing choppy video on my 64-bit Maverick. Running on i5-750 with nvidia geforce 260gtx, 8G ram.

Everything was peachy in Lucid - but now my recent machine feels like it's been thrown here from the stone age.

It happens in VLC, Totem, mplayer, smplayer. So I'm ruling out the cairo dependancy, since smplayer doesn't depend on it.

Quite possibly the nvidia drivers - I'll try to install the latest one manually when I can...

Beans
    Distro

It happens to me in all players, from Totem, VLC, GnomePlayer, Xine, etc.

Beans

I had a similar experience. Actually, my audio feedback is choppy as well (using Rythmbox). I had no problem with 10.04 and audio/video.

My system is an ASUS 1001p

Beans
    Distro

I give up. I followed P4man's suggestion and checked several video formats but, as usual, when you try to test something everything works fine. But the choopy video seems to be more frequent in avi files, though I also had some of it with rmvb files.

Besides, I was watching an avi file and opened an srt file with the subtitles in Totem. The video messed up completely. It froze and there was a black area on the player screen.

As for CPU or RAM hogging apps, no app was doing this, except Compiz, which was using just two percent of the CPU.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I'm using right now 9800GTX+ on my freshly installed 10.10 x64 and all my videos play 100% fine(tested also full screen) - even on the basic movie player & as well on vlc

I tested several mkv & avi movie files

The driver I used was simply: System > Administration > Additional Drivers
    Nothing else was changed, just upon installing the OS I selected the option to install all the codecs
    Desktop Build mobo: MSI 790FX-GD70 | cpu: Phenom ii x4 965BE C3 @ 4.02Ghz | gfx: Sapphire + XFX 5770 CrossfireX + EVGA 9800GTX+
    ram: 8gb DDR3-1333Mhz | hd: 1TB (Windows 7 Ultimate x64) + 500gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.7) + 400gb (Kubuntu 11.04 x64)

Beans
    Distro

I was playing an avi file on Xine media player and it froze for almost a minute when I selected a subtitle file. The I got a message: The number of discarded frames is too high. Your system can be slow, inapropiately optimized or just too loaded.

Oops! The message just popped up again.

Actually, I'm running the 32 bit version of Ubuntu on a 64 bit computer. I'll give 64 bit Ubuntu a try, but then I think I'm gonna have problems with flash and some apps are not available for 64 bits. :S

Beans

I'm having this issue too. It doesn't matter what video player I am using. Even animated gifs are choppy, and programs are occasionally unresponsive. I'm on 64bit and this is a desktop, not a laptop. My gpu is nvidia 385GTX.

I had no problems with 10.04. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro

Also stutters on animated gifs for me. Nice catch.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast