Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Choppy video in Maverick

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Choppy video in Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by Dumdideldum View Post
    I am facing different choppyness in 10.10 too. Going from flash videos in firefox to all video files using video player. Sound gets choppy, video gets asynchronous.

Adding the tsched=0 didn´t fix the thing at all, neither other kernel versions (2.6.34 and 2.6.36), I have even tried fglrx and radeon driver - same results.

But now it seems I found a solution which I think might not only help me, I hope it might help others too, as I didn´t see all the problems described above appear again.

System ---> Peferences ---> Pulseaudio-Settings

Disable all X in the checkboxes, so that no option is enabled.
    Thanks for this. All I had to uncheck was Simultaneous Output and all is good. Will be interesting to see what that upsets however, if anything comes up, I'll post back.

But, thanks to all who submitted suggestions and Ubuntu is still awesome!
    Aerrow-"what's our best case scenario?" Stork-"I am hoping to pass out before we go splat!"
    Game-Ubuntu/BSD/others Work-XP Server-Ubuntu Mediacentre-PS3 now WITHOUT Ubuntu
    Wifes-XP Ubuntu Daughter-Vista Son1-Zenwalk (broken) Son2-too young

Beans

I couldn't find the pulseaudio settings in my Settings menu. Do I ave to install something at first? Or can I start the configuration dialog from terminal ?

hawkril

Beans

check if you have the package paprefs installed.

Beans

Cool Choppy video in Maverick: Temporary Solution

For the problem of the missing audio, I installed the Gnome ALSA mixer. On running it, the PCM channel was found muted and the SPEAKER channel was set to zero volume(these controls don't show up in the standard pulse audio settings). On undoing the mute and increasing the volume the sound came back.
    For the choppy video in Totem and VLC, I haven't found a solution but for the time being, I installed SMPlayer and it works. I also installed ffmpeg and that works too. Open terminal, write ffplay then drag and drop the video file in front of it and hit enter. It'll look like this:

psycho@StarDuck $ ffplay '/home/psycho/Videos/DasBoot.avi'
    similarly,
    psycho@StarDuck $ mplayer -vo x11 '/home/psycho/Videos/DasBoot.avi'
    worked too.

Beans
    Distro

Tried everything on this post an still no luck... I can play simple movies with no problem, but high res movies are all choppy. I have a nvidia gts250 with the drivers properly installed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
    Are you sure the line is still present after the upgrade? I added the fix in kernel 2.6.35-23 and it seems to works. In fact, the choppiness appeared with that kernel, I didn't have any choppiness before the upgrade.

Now I get weird sound once in while, but at least it doesn't look like my music files are corrupted.
    The tsched=0 fix worked for me - but I'm puzzled as to what caused the issue in the first place. I am definitely using pulse audio, and have to assume that one of my last upgrades introduced (or missed) a variable that introduced my choppy audio - it was working only a few weeks back. I dual boot a desktop between Win7 and Ubuntu, so I can use a few programs natively in Win.

I'm a big fan of Ubuntu, but the fact that these things slip and aren't automatically fixed in newer patches does make it hard for the average user to adopt Ubuntu comfortably.

That being said, I'm probably still my own worst enemy not "getting it" completely, but thinking I do. I say that as I believe I'm relatively current with all my upgrades, but I just noticed I'm still running kernel 2.6.32-31-generic. This seems to be several versions behind a few of you...

Beans
    Distro

Talking Re: Choppy video in Maverick

I decided to do something very simple to solve all my problems with video. I bought a new laptop!!

I sold the old one (Acer Aspire 5735) and bought this small 11,6" Packard Bell... with an optical drive! As far as I know, it's the smallest laptop that has an optical drive!

And Maverick runs like a charm on it. Everything works fine, even the mike, the webcam. everything except the screen bightness control. But I never change the brightness level, so it's not a problem.

Did you know that Packard Bell computers continued to be very popular in Latin America even after the company closed down in the US? PB computers are very ubiquitous down here nowadays. Actually, this my fourth PB computer. I had the first one back in the 90s and I have never had any problems with them, even though they were notorious for their poor quality in the US. I wonder if the manufacturer was the same for PB computers sold in the US and Latin America. I can't understand this difference in quality. Anyway, Packard Bell is owned by Acer now.

The thing is, I'm very happy with Maverick now. It was a very pleasant surprise.

Here's a review:
    http://www.reghardware.com/2010/07/1..._butterfly_xs/
    Last edited by nechus; June 27th, 2011 at 06:34 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The fix by Dmck23 works for me on my laptop, on Ubuntu 10.04. Thank you.
    Laptop: Ubuntu 10.04, Dell Studio 15, Core i5-450M (~2.4Ghz) 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD5470, 4GB (~1333MHz) DDR3.
    PC 1: Ubuntu 11.04/Windows 7, M3A32-MVP Deluxe/WiFi-AP, AMD X2 5050e (~2.6Ghz, 45W), 2GB (~800Mhz),256MB Sapphire Radeon HD2600XT.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks, Dmck23.
    After receiving updates to adobe-flash-properties-gtk 11.2.202.228-0lucid1
    and adobe-flashplugin 11.2.202.228-0lucid1,
    I started getting choppy audio in YouTube, Pandora, Facebook videos...
    FLASH!

Following your simple fix and a restart, Flash works as good as new it ever did.

Also, I'm not in Maverick. I'm running Lucid/10.04 LTS.
    Good Hack!
    Last edited by wyrless2002; March 30th, 2012 at 04:28 AM. Reason: Thanked the wrong guy!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567