Thread: A few questions... New in UBUNTU

Beans

Question A few questions... New in UBUNTU

Hi,
    I'm new in UBUNTU and there are a few questions I'd like to make, maybe they're the silliest questions in the world, I don't know.

1. I installed Ubuntu in my laptop a few days ago (10.10 beta). Now that the final release is out, how can I update my ubuntu?
    2. I've got a laptop and an external mouse. It has a button to activate/deactivate the touchpad. If I activate it, the menus can't be selected (for example, if I select Applications, it becomes white as if it was selected but it does NOT open) What can I Do?
    3. I've also got a netbook with Windows 7 starter. I'd like to install both (windows 7 starter and UBUNTU netbook 10.10). I could do this without any problem in my laptop, when I try to make another partition, everything is Ok. I startup my netbook with the USB drive with Ubuntu and when I choose the partitioned space, it doesn't let me format the partition I created.

Thanks in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: A few questions... New in UBUNTU

Ok. First of all, Welcome to UBUNTU.

1. I think is possible but I suggest you to make a fresh install as soon the final release is available
    2. In order to help you out, in general, when you ask about your computer, you need to give some tips about it, example: Which model of laptop? the manufacturer? is an special edition? so once you provide that information maybe more people could help you.
    3. Not really sure, but DID you install Ubuntu or your just running it from usb drive?? And why you want to have a piece of garbage like windows 7 starter?? maybe if you tell why you need it I can tell you about software you can use.

Ok, happy Ubuntu life.
    There's no freedom without the control of the tools you use!!!

Beans

Thanks a lot rolodoom,

To the first thing you told me (about upgrading from 10.10 beta to 10.10 final). Shouldn't it update automaticly through the update manager, it's the same version but one is the beta version and the other one is the final one (it was released today)

About the second thing... My laptop is an HP dv5-1120 es (I'm spanish...):

• Core 2 duo P8600 @ 2,4 ghz
    • nVIDIA 9200m gs (512 mb)
    • 3GB RAM

About the third thing... Well, maybe Windows 7 starter is not the best thing in the world (maybe not even the second or the third... ) but it works to use WIndows applications, so I'd like to keep it.

Thanks in advance

Beans

just updating via the update manager will be sufficient unless you did some heavy modifications to your beta installation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Ok.

If you don't mind I would like to know which applications you use to keep windows. I'm teaching my students about free software and yout information, as a new user of ubuntu about software you use that make you keep windows, can help me for the migration guides.

3. ¿Which software are you using to make the partition?

Best regards,
    There's no freedom without the control of the tools you use!!!

Beans

Thanks to all of you for your answers:

1. roggenschrotbrot: I just installed some programs, changed the graphical options, and I'm now changing the wait time for the boot manager. I don't think any of these modifications are heavy...
    2. rolodoom: Playing games make me stay in Windows, and also, Visual Studio .net 2008. And lots of more applications, as in Ubuntu, there are a lot for windows, so I think having both is something good. (From my hard disk, 300 gb are for Windows and 20 for UBUNTU)
    3. For partitioning I use windows' disk manager, I do not use any 3rd party software for that case

And... What could I do with the touchpad?? (See post 1)
    And with my netbook (post 1 as well...)

Thanks in advance
    PD: I hope I could help you, rolodoom.

Beans

Question Re: A few questions... New in UBUNTU

Reinstalled FINAL ubuntu 10.10 (Not the beta version). The touchpad works now!
    Repartitioned my disk (50 gb for UBUNTU, 6gb of swap space). Of course, there's only one question left:
    What can I Do to install it in my netbook, with Windows 7 starter too (I could do this in my laptop, but NOT in my netbook, because it says that the new partion is not usable) Help, please!
    And another doubt: What antivirus should I use (I want to use one in real time, please. Maybe it's not necessary, but I want it)

Thanks in advance