Thread: Recommendations for USB wireless device please

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Recommendations for USB wireless device please

I would like recommendations for a USB wireless device to get Internet on a Dell Dimension 2400.
    It is an old computer but, Ubuntu 10.4 is running like a really fast steam train - like nothing will stop it. Hooray for Ubuntu - XP has been dumped from this machine when I inherited it as it was becoming bloated and inevitably slow (not that I wanted to keep it any way).

So I only need a good easy to install wireless USB device for Internet connection.

I bought a Realtek RT2070 chipset device without reading into the dos and don'ts. My own fault really as I have been spoilt with everything 'just working' with my laptop and Ultimate Edition Linux.

I have tried a few different driver versions for this thing and it simply won't see the device properly. I can get a @Connection Established' message with a couple of the drivers but, I never actually get connected. I have tried the Windows Wireless Drivers and although they all install I get the 'No Hardware Detected' next to the driver name every time. Something definitely not working somewhere.

So I am giving up with this one and hoping I can find one that people know works well and easily installed. Preferrably with a .deb file (asking a bit much I know but, in this day and age I expect it). After all the other Operating Systems have their own executables that work for all installations of everything. Oh, how I wish I had the time and know-how to do this for all peripherals for Linux. It would be like being in seventh heaven for everyone. No more compiling, or make commands just download and install...

Sorry for going on. It is the only real gripe I have left with Linux. Virtually everything else works, even where Windows does not at times!!
    I was amazed to see four simultaneous video feeds running in VideoLan the other day through Ultimate Edition on a Dell Studio 1537. I think I could have just kept opening and running the videos. They had no dropped frames at all - amazing when I considered the same day what crap Windows 7 was to stutter trying to play a CD with music (I have to use Windows at work, yuckkk...).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Recommendations for USB wireless device please

About a year ago Belkin were selling a USB dongle that simply 'just worked'. No deb files to install, nothing. But I don't suggest you get one now because Belkin have a habit of changing the chipset fairly frequently.

Since you're in the UK, you could try the Linux Emporium:

http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/hardw...-wireless.html

As you see, there's a slight complication with their current USB offering. There must be supply problems because in the past they've sold dongles that just work. Contact them before buying. They are very helpful and do a lot of research before offering devices for sale.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks coffeecat you are the only one to heed my need on this. Surely I can't be the only one that has had problems. must be luck that you have stumbled across my request.
    I will check out the people you suggest.
    I'm sure there is a Wireless USB that 'just works'.

I have succeeded with almost everything just working when I plug it into my Linux machine.
    The exceptions are this Wireless USB and the other is my eSata drive which had to be initialized before it could be recognized and unfortunately I only got a heads up on this within the Windows environment. Once done though there has been no problem in Linux.

thanks again.
    Ultimate Edition, based on Ubuntu, is the only way to go...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Hi dougalkerr,
    I had a really cheap: Budget 1 Wireless, B2003 Wireless-G USB adapter, that worked really nice and was install free and upgrade free of problems for at least one year, but suddenly it died, and could not get another one, so I bought a: TP_Link TL-WN721N 150 Mbps, that was a bit of a pain to install in 10:04, but upgraded w/o problem in 10.10. I am at no more than 60% in signal strength (two floors away from the emitter), but runs really well and does not overheat.

Beans
    Hidden!

I have had many wifi cards and sticks over the years, and "most" just work. Of course, that doesnt help when you have one that doesnt, and its very difficult to buy one that you know will work; these sticks rarely if ever mention the chipset used, let alone revision and even then its hard to guarantee anything.

I really wish canonical got serious about an ubuntu approved hardware program. Its not much work to get a simple device tested, and surely vendors wouldnt mind paying a small one time fee to have an extra logo on their kit? Just think about it, if there where only 2 or 3 ubuntu approved wifi sticks, webcams, laptops, etc advertised on ubuntu homepage on a special "approved hardware" page, they would sell like crazy to ubuntu users. Yes, thats only 1% or so of the market, but which USB device has that much? I dont understand. The economics are so clearly in favour of this. Vendors could even make a ubuntu or linux rebadged version of the exact same device and charge extra to us poor users, just so we can be sure it actually works.

oh well, /end rant. Sorry for wasting your time.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by P4man View Post
    Vendors could even make a ubuntu or linux rebadged version of the exact same device and charge extra to us poor users, just so we can be sure it actually works.
    If you look at the D-Link PCMCIA card in the link I posted, you'll see that D-Link have actually printed a Tux on the box. If my memory is correct of the pictures showing on that Linux Emporium link of a few months ago, the same was true of the D-Link PCI card as well. An example of an enlightened manufacturer, it seems. All of which doesn't help the OP who wants a USB device. One of the problems of selecting a new USB device now is that if you go into your local PC World, Staples or wherever, they're mostly stocking N-capable USB sticks, and my own experience and threads in this forum suggest that some (most) Linux drivers for N devices have some way to go yet.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.