Thread: Wireless usb dongle not working

Beans

Wireless usb dongle not working

I've been using linux for a while now and I bought a usb wifi dongle (TL-WN727N) and when I first plugged it in it didn't seem to work. So I did the usual lsmod and so on and blacklisted a few modules. Now network manager was finally beginning to work, it would connect and then after three seconds it would disconnect and reconnect. I then tried wpa_supplicant but it kept giving me (and still does) "wpa_supplicant association request to driver failed" along with some other stuff. On a whim I decided to install wicd and tada, it worked! Now about a week ago I did the usual update that pops up but when I rebooted wicd wouldn't connect anymore. If I had encryption on my router enabled it would sit there saying ":Verifying" for a while then "Bad Password". If I left my wifi unencrypted it wouldn't get an ip. It connects to my wired router just fine, but it won't connect to my wifi.

Any ideas?

Beans

Re: Wireless usb dongle not working

It's a usb dongle. Is there a usb wire between the computer and the actual device? Try plugging the device directly into the computer.

It may also help to see which modules you blacklisted. I had to:

Code:
    rmmod ehci-hcd
    But I have a different device from you.

Beans

It's the same way it was when it was working, plugged directly in. I blacklisted rt2800usb, rt2x00usb and rt2x00lib

Beans

maybe a bump will help seeing as General Help is flooded with an insane amount of questions

Beans

I have ubuntu 11.10 and installed TP-Link TL-WN727N.

Follow the instructions from: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...ce/Tenda_W311M

I found Ralink driver 5370 is much stable and reliable than RT2800usb. Please following the steps of downloading and compiling the driver. I have been suffering from the slow and clogging wifi from rt2800 though it is much easier to enable.

5370 is the one to go.