Thread: Iomega iConnect not mounting ext3 drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Iomega iConnect not mounting ext3 drive.

Hello all.

I've just bought an Iomega iConnect which mounts usb drives as network drives. The problem I'm having is that it's not mounting an ext3 partition on a drive, it mount's the NTFS and FAT but not the ext3.

If anyone has one of these and has an answer I'd be most grateful.

Thanks.
    The Other Ubuntu Search Engine touse
    Before following advice look at this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Iomega iConnect not mounting ext3 drive.

I looked it up and apparently it doesn't support ext3.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Apparently it does support both ext2/3 I read this on the Iomega website but can't find it now unfortunately.

Well it does support ext2 so maybe I'll format drives as that. Strange thing is I formatted a USB stick to FAT and it didn't see that either.

The story continues.

Thanks anyway.
    The Other Ubuntu Search Engine touse
    Before following advice look at this.

Beans

hi i recently bought an iconnect and have got a little further with it

https://sites.google.com/a/abiyo.net...essdatastation

gives details of how to build compile and insert the modules on the iconnect.

its running a version of debian. you need to download a 799meg archive from iomega to get 56 meg of kernel source use menuconfig to add in ext3 support compile it and take 3 .ko (modules) files from the fs folder which you then load into the kernel in the iconnect.

Which is as far as i have got. The ext3 partition on my 500gb drive isn't displayed in the iconnect web interface but the iconnect knows about the partition I think it maybe a permissions thing.

I do have root on it thou so it should be possible to go further with this
    some people have got debian booting on the iconnect via a usb stick but they have opened it up to get a serial port open for the console.

I don't think i need to go that far, my main interest is ext3 support so i can load which ever drives i want on it and perhaps add a usb hub to increase the number of usb ports available.

I've attached a small archive which contains the 3 .ko files needed but obviously use them at your own risk. you probably would be better to build your own (but this is a lot quicker than getting the tool chain the massive archive from iomega extracting whats needed and cross compiling)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Slight update
    after fiddling round a bit I plugged in a drive which hadn't been connected to the iomega iconnect before.

that works
    both fat and ext3 partitions recognised on that drive

Probably doing a factory reset will reset the cache of known drives.

turns out the drive i was trying to mount was ext4 which was the problem

doing a factory reset will wipe out the changes made in /ect/
    and there is very little space in there so you can't add in ext4 modules as well or you run out of space.
    Last edited by blackest_knight; April 27th, 2011 at 12:28 AM. Reason: stupidity