Thread: Freshly installed 10.04 doesn't recognize /home partition

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Freshly installed 10.04 doesn't recognize /home partition

I just did a fresh install of 10.04 into my root partition last night, formatting both root and swap while leaving my /home partition untouched. That part worked great — my files all seem to be intact. (I had done a backup, of course.)

However, the system no longer recognizes /home as my /home directory. What had been /home shows up now as a separate 200GB drive. While I can mount the drive and see my old files, it's not a terribly convenient structure. I really would like it to be /home again.

A couple potential complications:

• The /home partition is still in the ext3 filesystem, but I chose to format root and swap as ext4 this time around.
    • I also said yes to the option of encrypting /home.

Do I need to redo the install, keep root in ext3 and say no to encryption? Would that solve the problem automatically? What else could I do?
    Last edited by aquifer; October 6th, 2010 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Updating tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Freshly installed 10.04 doesn't recognize /home partition

I believe that in step 5 of 8 (manually partition) you may have omitted designating /home as the mount point for /home, not formating it of course. You may go through a process for establishing a separate home after the fact in which you would have to reclaim ownership, but, reinstalling would probably be as easy at this point. Follow this for setting up a separate home if that is what you want to do: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome
    12.10 Quantal w/grub2/Mint13 installed on raid0, Gigabyte AMD MB, AMD 64x4 CPUs at 3.2GHz, 16 GB ram, HD7770 ATI video, dual boot win7 on 64gb ssd and win8 on 1Tb SATA raid. 13.04 installed on raid0 and ssd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile Re: Freshly installed 10.04 doesn't recognize /home partition

You were right -- I'd forgotten to designate the mount point for /home.

I just went ahead and reinstalled it, making sure to take that extra step, and that did the trick. I was shocked when I rebooted to find my old screen wallpaper staring back at me -- it was my computer again, just with a more up-to-date OS. (The advice elsewhere on this forum about saving then importing the markings in Synaptic also helped speed that process along.)

Thanks for the help!