Thread: Nautilus hangs endlessly

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Nautilus hangs endlessly

I upgraded from Ubuntu 10.04 to 10.10 RC two days ago. When i rebooted, and logged in,,
    all my desktop contents were gone,lots of programs couldn't launch and nautilus hangs forever (cannot access any folder).

Output of Nautilus -c gives
    HTML Code:
    Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module": libcanberra-gtk-module.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

(nautilus:8593): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

(nautilus:8593): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "gnomesegvhandler": libgnomesegvhandler.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    running nautilus_self_check_file_utilities
    running nautilus_self_check_file_operations
    running nautilus_self_check_directory
    running nautilus_self_check_file
    running nautilus_self_check_icon_container
    running nautilus_self_check_file_utilities
    running nautilus_self_check_file_operations
    running nautilus_self_check_directory
    running nautilus_self_check_file
    running nautilus_self_check_icon_container
    murrine and canberra gtk engines are installed.

I tried some suggestions such as deleting .gnome2,.gnome2_private,.nautilus and .config from ~/ ,nothing helped.

Strangely firefox can launch and that's what im using to write this with.

Any help/suggestions to solve this are appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JackNocturne; October 6th, 2010 at 05:14 PM.
    Ubuntu love

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Nautilus hangs endlessly

open a terminal and run
    Code:
     sudo apt-get --fix-broken
    and see what happens . If that don't help try switching to a different theme , your problem seems to be your theme is broken and GTK can't draw most of the desktop .
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Beans
    Distro

thanks for the reply,

From the command you suggested i got the following as output;

Code:
    sudo apt-get install --fix-broken
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    I tried changing to different themes, problem remained,it only changed the error to "respective" theme engine.

Couple of other stuff i tried

• making a new user ,problem was the same
    • opening nautilus with sudo [WORKS] but crashes as soon i drag or do some other things
    • If for instance want to open software-center ,it fails to open and output of ~/.xsession-errors is
      PHP Code:
      Initializing nautilus-gdu extension

(nautilus:7145): GConf-CRITICAL **: gconf_value_freeassertion `value != NULL' failed
      nautilus: symbol lookup error: nautilus: undefined symbol: gtk_widget_send_focus_change
      Traceback (most recent call last):
        File "/usr/bin/software-center", line 29, in <module>
          import gtk
        File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py", line 40, in <module>
          from gtk import _gtk
      ImportError: /usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/gtk-2.0/gtk/_gtk.so: undefined symbol: gtk_viewport_get_view_window 

I'm stuck, dont know what exactly is the problem

Beans
    Distro

If you're interested into a working desktop rather than hacking the OS I'd suggest doing a clean install of the RC or a daily build.

Beans
    Distro

true, but im saving that for the last effort when i'm 90% sure there is no way to fix it without losing my sanity
    Ubuntu love

Beans
    Distro

ok here are a couple of other things to try . 1st check your /etc/apt/sources.list and make sure everything did get updated to maverick . then open a terminal and run .

Code:
     sudo apt-get update
    then
    Code:
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    then
    Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    if you used update-manager to do the original upgrade from 10.04>10.10 theres a good chance that not everything upgraded properly , update-manager is not the best thing to use during developement .

Beans
    Distro

hi again,

i checked my /etc/apt/sources.list ,it was ok.

I typed all those commands at terminal to update,upgrade then dist-upgrade, it said there is nothin to upgrade and that all upgrades have been done.

Beans
    Distro

Hmm apt obviously thinks everything is updated , have you looked in /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules to see if libcanberra-gtk-module.so is really there and in /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines to see if murrine is there ? also try installing a different theme engine .

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ronacc View Post
    Hmm apt obviously thinks everything is updated , have you looked in /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules to see if libcanberra-gtk-module.so is really there and in /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines to see if murrine is there ? also try installing a different theme engine .
    hello,
    output of ls /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules
    Code:
    libatk-bridge.so           libferret.so      libgail.so
    libcanberra-gtk-module.so  libgail-gnome.so  libgnomesegvhandler.so
    and of /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines
    Code:
    libclearlooks.so   libindustrial.so  libnodoka.so     libthinice.so
    libcrux-engine.so  libluaengine.so   libpixmap.so
    libglide.so        libmist.so        libredmond95.so
    libhcengine.so     libmurrine.so     libsvg.so
    They are there, what would cause them not to be detected? Could this be a bug or just configuration mistake?
    Ubuntu love

Beans
    Distro

It probably is a config error , going back to your first post it is saying it can't locate the theme engine in the "module_path" , unfortuntely I don't know where that path is stored , look around in gconfig-editor and see if you can find anything there .