Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: cannot mount /dev/lop0 (/cdrom/casper/filesystem. squashfs

Beans

Re: cannot mount /dev/lop0 (/cdrom/casper/filesystem. squashfs

I've been running Linux for 12 years (that's 48 in IT years), and running Ubuntu on multiple machines since 4.10. Ubuntu has come a very, very long way since then and is a great OS. I have been trying to get Ubuntu onto the home and business desktop for years, but when I see issues like this one, it tells me that we still have a ways to go before Ubuntu can go mainstream.

When non-technical users want to do something as simple and basic as a default install from a CD onto a brand name laptop and come across issues like this, it sets us back significantly. Those users will run (not walk) to the nearest Windows CD and not look back. Even more, they will pass their experience on to everyone around them.

Issues like this one truly should have been caught and fixed before this ever left Beta.

Beans

Same error. I've been using Ubuntu since Dapper Drake and have had no problems with it, and I'm not going to complain about something that's free and generally excellent. But it surprises me to see all these folks with the same problem and no realistic suggestion of a solution (i.e. yes, the CDROM is first in the boot sequence, yes there's plenty of memory, yes we've tried turning it off and turning it back on...).

Right now I'm trying to use the LiveCD to solve a completely unrelated problem, and I can't find my original install CD. My question is simple: is there a solution for getting the v10 LiveCD to boot, or should I give up and look for an older version?

Beans

I had all the same issues posted and solved it by using the Wubi windows installer http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ub...dows-installer

Beans
    Hidden!

I've run in the same issue on a Celeron 2.0 Ghz box with 2GB DDR3200 RAM. I am attempting to install the i386 10.10 and I receive that same error. I really didn't need the GUI anyways so I am burning the server edition to CD right now. Unfortunately for me this machine is dated so I have no option to boot from USB.

Will post back results, I am not sure of the cause, nor have I been able to find a resolution to fixing it.

Current Output:

Code:
    (initramfs) mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on //filesystem.squashfs failed: Input/output error
    Can not mount /dev/loop0 (/cdrom/casper/filesystem.squashfs) on //filesystem.squashfs
    I started originally with this error, but now have upgrade to the one above:

Code:
    GLib-WARNING **: getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown user id (0)

Wish I had a fix, I have installed Ubuntu hundreds upon hundreds of times and this is my first issue during bootup. If I run into the same issue with 10.10 Server I am going to go to 10.4 LTS.

Beans

I got this error too. Since this was my first experience with Ubuntu I was pretty disappointed. I tried all the remedies suggested and they did not work for me. However, I after much flailing about, multiple machines, multiple downloads etc. I noticed that the iso file size was not the stated 693MB. Nor was it consistent across the many downloads I tried.

So, once I managed to get a download with the right files size I did manage to burn a CD and get it a good install. However, when I tried the USB option, I got a weird message about "not a com32 image" and an abort.

This is supposed to be cured by typing "live" at the boot prompt. That did not work for me but at least I was able to use the CD.

I am guessing there is an intermittent download issue that is causing this. I don't know if this is the fix or if it is something else but if this works for any one else, please let me know so I can feel like I did something for the community instead of freeloading a great OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Welcome to the fora.

You shouldn't feel bad about freeloading in the beginning. We all started that way.

If you suspect the download to be a problem, running the MD5SUM-test will tell whether the ISO is all right or not:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuHashes
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

another one to add to the list. I have been using Mythbuntu and am trying to reload 10.10 and get the same issue...busybox and initrampf etc...

I will have a go a some of the solutions here though I did have a look at my boot sequence and can't see where I can select a USB stick as the boot device.

10.4 loaded though to a desktop on the same machine though it did report some errors.

More info as I keep on working the issue.

Beans

I was getting this same error and found something that fixed it for me. I was trying to burn 10.10 onto an old Dell and was getting frustrated. Turns out when I was burning the .iso using disk utility (on a macbook pro) I was getting a 'medium write error'. I tried burning onto a different brand of disc and then it started working. Might not solve the problem for everyone, but for me Memorex CD-R did not work but Phillips did.

Beans

Just my 2 cents.
    I was trying to install Ubuntu on an older laptop and same thing, sometimes Live CD would load, but most times it would just die with the squashfs message (sometimes I had to hit esc to see it). Even when it did load the install would always fail with some sort of input output read or write failure.

Long story short the Live CD is NOT going to work (in my opinion) on this system.
    Minimal CD option worked for me. I didn't try the alternative install option, but I'm assuming that would work too. I
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD

I THINK the problem may be that this system only has 512mb ram.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I would think so, too. 512 MB is enough for running Ubuntu when installed, but a live boot sometimes requires more memory than this.

Anyway, you did the right: Trying various ways of installing is always a good option. If only more people would do this simple test before posting...
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast