Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: cannot mount /dev/lop0 (/cdrom/casper/filesystem. squashfs

Beans

cannot mount /dev/lop0 (/cdrom/casper/filesystem. squashfs

help on new install

getting this message no matter what I try off of same cd that just worked on the machine next to it.

"(initramfs) mount mounting /dev/loop0 on filesystem.squashfs failed: Input/Output error
    Cannot mount /dev/loop0 (/cdrom/casper/filesystem.squashfs on // filesystem.squashfs"

dell p3 1800mhz 386m ram 120 gb hd 80 gb unformated with win xp on remaining 40 gb dual boot

love the operating system just learning it new have it on my laptop and one of the kids machines going for the other kid than mine thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: cannot mount /dev/lop0 (/cdrom/casper/filesystem. squashfs

There is probably not enough memory for a regular install. You could try the alternate installer for Ubuntu or (even better) go for Lubuntu:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=261
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans

Hello,
    I am stumbling across the exact same problem (loop0) while trying to install the 32 bit version of Ubuntu 10.04 on my new Acer Aspire 5551 Laptop (64 bit processor AMD Athlon II P320 Dual Core - 3 GB memory - Windows 7) Any help greatly appreciated !
    Eric.

By the way, not sure why, but my computer ignores all the other CD's I've burnt, notably any 64 bit versions of Ubuntu, and even the 32 bit version of the 10.10... Instead of booting on the CD, it starts Windows as if the reader was empty.
    Last edited by esarrat; October 9th, 2010 at 06:43 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by esarrat View Post
    Instead of booting on the CD, it starts Windows as if the reader was empty.
    The firmware "BIOS" needs to be configured to boot from CD.

When you turn on the power to your computer you need to press a key to get into the BIOS setup. This varies depending on the computer. There is often a message telling you which one to use. If no message appears (sometime the message is there for a very short time only) try one of these keys:

F1
    F2
    F12
    Del

Beans
    Hidden!

I get the "cannot mount /dev/loop0 (/cdrom/casper/filesystem. squashfs" message with an MD5-verified i368 10.10 alternate iso

md5sum ubuntu-10.10-alternate-i386.iso
    419ad8ee1bb76a49490f4a08b5be43f0 ubuntu-10.10-alternate-i386.is

booting as an i686 KVM guest

But when I try the desktop (not alternate) I do not get that error.

Beans

Thank you Nutznboltz. I have done what you describe which is why I am so puzzled. With the CD of Ubuntu 10.04 32 bit, the Notebook boots from the CD, starts the installation of Ubuntu, and then stops with the aforementioned error message. With the 5 other CDs I have burnt with different versions of Ubuntu and the same set up requiring an initial start from the DVD drive, it is as if the hard drive was selected.

I have interrupted the initial installation by clicking on a key while the small keyboard is displayed on the pink scree. I performed the memory check, which passed without failures. Strangely enough, the selection of the option to verify the disc does not result in the execution of any programs. And the option to start ubuntu brings me back to the initial input/output error.

Beans

Wink Re: RESOLVED cannot mount /dev/lop0 (/cdrom/casper/filesystem. squashfs

Hi,
    After having repeatedly failed to install from a CD, I used Unetbootin to create a USB stick with the image of Ubuntu 10.04.1 I had downloaded, and... halleluia, it worked

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I am having exactly the same problem. I am installing on 2 seperate systems. One has 750gb hdd and the other 500gb. the 500 gb is a laptop - sony vaio VPCCW21FX i3 with 4 gb RAM. The other is a Dell XPS420 core 2 Duo E8500 3.16Ghz. both run Windows 7 64bit and I had both set up to dual boot with 10.04 LTS and everything worked great. I recently tried the upgrade on my Sony resulting in a failed upgrade. Rendering Linux unbootable. I just wiped the HD, reinstalled windows, and tried to install 10.10.

I am getting the very same error before and after the wipe on the sony as well as on the Dell. I also downloaded and burned .iso off official Ubunto site and i get the same error from both .iso's. I burned both onto a CD as opposed to a DVD.

The exact wording of the error is:
    "BusyBox v1.15.3 (Ubuntu 1:1.15.3-1ubuntu5) built-in shell (ash)
    Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs)mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on //filesystem.squashfs failed: Input/output error Can not mount /dev/loop0 (cdrom/casper/filesystem.squashfs) on //filesystem/squashfs"

I also tried to run from CD .iso without installing on both boxes and get the same error as above.

I tried to re-install 10.04 on the sony vaio which was just wiped and i can install 10.04.

Also, the sony Vaio has a nvidia 320m graphics card and the Dell has an ATI Radeon 3870 x2 with 1gb video.

Oh - i downloaded the .iso's 1 day apart.

Please help. I am not sure if if the .iso i downloaded from Ubuntu were both corrupted, if i am doing something wrong...not sure what is happening.

any help is very appreciated. Thank you.

Beans

Hello,
    I have burnt 12 CDs, all good, and to no avail. Not sure what the issue is. Yet, I'd advise you to use Unetbootin. I found it simple and effective and just put all my CDs to the trash

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

So I tried to put this on a bootable USB drive from within Windows and i got the following error:

Data error in 'casper\filesystem.squashfs'. File is broken

I used Universal USB Installer that was recommended on ubuntu.com

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast