Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canon Pixma MG5200 Series Printers and Ubuntu

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Wink Canon Pixma MG5200 Series Printers and Ubuntu

Hi all,

I no longer need help finding a driver for my Canon Pixma MG5220 and just wanted to let people know where to find it in case you come across the same problem. Turns out Canon USA doesn't provide ANY Linux drivers at all. So, your options are to find a driver through TurboPrint etc. I stumbled upon this particular driver here:

http://support-au.canon.com.au/conte...100301702.html

Canon's Australia site. I also found it on the Canon Asia site, but it was in an .rpm format. I attempted to use alien to convert it (before I found the .deb at the Australia site) and it didn't work. So, there you have it. There is a driver and it works on Ubuntu 10.04

*Mods, if this needs to move elsewhere please let me know thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Canon Pixma MG5200 Series Printers and Ubuntu

Awesome! That worked great, just run the install.sh and it walks you through the setup. I set it up for wireless lan and it's working great!!!
    Thanks for posting the link to the drivers!

Beans

woo! google finally linked me to this page! It's always a matter of finding the right keywords..

Thanks for the find! Did you ever manage to get the scan function working with sane or something similar?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hitman, thank you very much for the link. Install on 10.04 went smooth, I have it set up over a wireless network now.

I also was able to get the scan function working over wireless using drivers from the same site.

ScanGear MP documentation
    http://support-au.canon.com.au/conte...300410801.html

ScanGear MP software (debian package)
    http://support-au.canon.com.au/conte...100303002.html

It's not great software, but it works. You can either launch scangear from within GIMP or at the command line:

Code:
     joe-laptop ~$scangearmp &
    It gave me an error message on the first launch, all I had to do was tell it to update the scanners list.

Beans

Just had to replace my PIXMA MP600 printer and bought the PIXMA MG5220. I'm so fortunate to have found this post, because I was just unable to install it properly. THANK YOU GUYS! I'm still experiencing minor issues. I might post some further questions. But for now, any ideas how to have the scan recognized by XSANE? Otherwise, scangearmp is working and provides a temporary solution.

Beans

I tried to install this driver, using the install.sh, and it keeps erroring out. I searched the error and got this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1475336 , but the solutions there didn't help either.

I just bought this printer, feeling confident in the fact that there's a driver for it, and now I can't get it installed. I did just install the 2 .deb files, but I'm hoping there's more functionality available than that. I can't adjust print quality, I can't get about 90% of the settings from it. Perhaps I need to just accept that a linux driver won't have anywhere close to the functionality of a windows driver, but...this is disappointing.

Anyone have any errors when installing, and any ideas why I might be? After taking the steps in that other thread, I got "An error occurred. A necessary package could not be found in the proper location."

I am running 10.04, netbook edition, but not running a une session, regular desktop session.

I have no idea what the issue might be, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I downloaded scangearmp-source-1.60-1.tar.gz from the link above. I found .../scripts/install.sh and ran it, but got "An error occurred. The package management system cannot be identified." I am running Ubuntu 10.04 64bit. can anyone help?

Then I downloaded the Debian package of scangearmp and got the same error while trying to run install.sh, so I installed the two .deb packages (for 64bit). Still nothing. What am I doing wrong?
    Last edited by benjaminelzerman; December 28th, 2010 at 04:27 PM. Reason: more information

Beans

Another FYI...

I'm on Natty - 11.04.

Both the print driver and the scan tool work great for me.

Ran both install.sh as root. Confirmed scan and print works from user accounts.

Thanks to the original poster for the links.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by benjaminelzerman View Post
    I downloaded scangearmp-source-1.60-1.tar.gz from the link above. I found .../scripts/install.sh and ran it, but got "An error occurred. The package management system cannot be identified." I am running Ubuntu 10.04 64bit. can anyone help?

Then I downloaded the Debian package of scangearmp and got the same error while trying to run install.sh, so I installed the two .deb packages (for 64bit). Still nothing. What am I doing wrong?
    Benjamin, I experienced the same error. Have you been able to resolve? Can anyone help?

greg@greg-laptop:~/Downloads/Cannon MG5225 Driver/cnijfilter-mg5200series-3.40-1-deb$ sudo ./install.sh
    ==================================================

Canon Inkjet Printer Driver Ver.3.40-1 for Linux
    Copyright CANON INC. 2001-2010
    All Rights Reserved.

==================================================
    An error occurred. The package management system cannot be identified.
    greg@greg-laptop:~/Downloads/Cannon MG5225 Driver/cnijfilter-mg5200series-3.40-1-deb$

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JLH02 View Post
    Hitman, thank you very much for the link. Install on 10.04 went smooth, I have it set up over a wireless network now.

I also was able to get the scan function working over wireless using drivers from the same site.

ScanGear MP documentation
    http://support-au.canon.com.au/conte...300410801.html

ScanGear MP software (debian package)
    http://support-au.canon.com.au/conte...100303002.html

It's not great software, but it works. You can either launch scangear from within GIMP or at the command line:

Code:
     joe-laptop ~$scangearmp &
    It gave me an error message on the first launch, all I had to do was tell it to update the scanners list.
    First, many thanks to hitman and others that helped solve the print & scan driver "mystery" for PIXMA devices! If you're using the GNOME desktop, and want a shortcut for the ScanGear program on the Applications menu, here's a link with instructions:

http://library.gnome.org/users/user-...editor.html.en

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast