Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Canon Pixma MG5200 Series Printers and Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Canon Pixma MG5200 Series Printers and Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cheri703 View Post
    I tried to install this driver, using the install.sh, and it keeps erroring out. I searched the error and got this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1475336 , but the solutions there didn't help either.
    Quote Originally Posted by benjaminelzerman View Post
    I downloaded scangearmp-source-1.60-1.tar.gz from the link above. I found .../scripts/install.sh and ran it, but got "An error occurred. The package management system cannot be identified." I am running Ubuntu 10.04 64bit. can anyone help?
    Hey, i believe i was having the same issues as the two of you.

Using the link cheri703 provided i was able to edit the install.sh file to allow me to install the packages. All i did was comment out the lines of code hinted at from cheri's link:

lines 1256-1269:
    Code:
    #if [ $c_system_rpm = 0 -a $c_system_deb = 0 ] || [ $c_system_rpm != 0 -a $c_system_deb != 0 ]; then
    	#	printf "$L_INST_COM_01_02"
    	#	return $C_ERR_CODE
    	#else
    	#	if test $c_system_rpm -eq 0; then
    	#		C_system="rpm"
    	#		C_arch32="i386"
    	#		C_arch64="x86_64"
    	#	else
    			C_system="deb"
    			C_arch32="i386"
    			C_arch64="amd64"
    	#	fi
    	#fi
    line 1550:
    Code:
    C_FUNC_show_and_exec "sudo dpkg --force-architecture -iG $c_fpath_pkg_name"
    and line 1740:
    Code:
    C_FUNC_show_and_exec "sudo --force-architecture dpkg -P $1"
    I apologize in advance if posting a link to a file is against forum rules; This is my first post. Just replace the original install.sh file with this one:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=E5NA89AH

good luck.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dandaman96 View Post
    Another FYI...

I'm on Natty - 11.04.

Both the print driver and the scan tool work great for me.

Ran both install.sh as root. Confirmed scan and print works from user accounts.

Thanks to the original poster for the links.
    I installed the scan software in 10.10 with the software center but the xsane scanner software does not find the wifi scanner? What goes wrong? Do I have to activate it somehow?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by benjaminelzerman View Post
    I downloaded scangearmp-source-1.60-1.tar.gz from the link above. I found .../scripts/install.sh and ran it, but got "An error occurred. The package management system cannot be identified." I am running Ubuntu 10.04 64bit. can anyone help?

Then I downloaded the Debian package of scangearmp and got the same error while trying to run install.sh, so I installed the two .deb packages (for 64bit). Still nothing. What am I doing wrong?
    Benjamin, I experienced the same error. Have you been able to resolve? Can anyone help?

greg@greg-laptop:~/Downloads/Cannon MG5225 Driver/cnijfilter-mg5200series-3.40-1-deb$ sudo ./install.sh
    ==================================================

Canon Inkjet Printer Driver Ver.3.40-1 for Linux
    Copyright CANON INC. 2001-2010
    All Rights Reserved.

==================================================
    An error occurred. The package management system cannot be identified.
    greg@greg-laptop:~/Downloads/Cannon MG5225 Driver/cnijfilter-mg5200series-3.40-1-deb$

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by convert_mrta View Post
    Benjamin, I experienced the same error. Have you been able to resolve? Can anyone help?
    Try this install.sh file:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=E5NA89AH

You can read my previous post to see what i changed. I used this to install drivers for my Pixma MG5220 on Ubuntu 9.10

Beans

Just wanted to thank everyone for contributing to this thread. I was able to get a Canon MG5220 all-in-one installed on Xubuntu (Lucid) on an old Compaq Presario with a 600MHz Celeron. The computer is owned by a gentleman with psychological challenges, and I try to help him keep this old machine running. Unfortunately, he purchased his printer/scanner before having me consult the compatible hardware list, and it looked liked we would not be able to install this printer, until I found this thread. The all-in-one appears to have all of its functionality after following the instructions provided here and in the attached links. Just remember, you never know who you are helping when you contribute.

Beans

Thanks to all the contributors of this thread... initially I had the problem with the package manager not being recognized, so I commented out the lines as directed, and everything worked as it should. For the scanner program, I only needed to comment out lines 194-207 of install.sh

When I was done, lines 194-207 of install.sh in the scangearmp folder contained the following lines of code:

Code:
            #if [ $c_system_rpm = 0 -a $c_system_deb = 0 ] || [ $c_system_rpm != 0 -a $c_system_deb != 0 ]; then
            #       printf "$L_INST_COM_01_02"
            #       return $C_ERR_CODE
            #else
            #       if test $c_system_rpm -eq 0; then
            #               C_system="rpm"
            #               C_arch32="i386"
            #               C_arch64="x86_64"
            #       else
                            C_system="deb"
                            C_arch32="i386"
            #               C_arch64="amd64"
            #       fi
            #fi

I also commented out line 678 of the same file, so that it would read as follows:

Code:
                            #C_FUNC_show_and_exec "sudo dpkg -P $1"
    Whether you want to comment out that second bit of code or not is up to you... it has to do with uninstall, though.

Again, thanks to everyone else who has made the installation of this printer a breeze... your direction and advice has saved me a lot of hunting around on my own!

Beans

Those who get "The package management system cannot be identified" error should remove "rpm" package from their ubuntu installation because installation script fails if both "rpm" and "deb" packages are installed on the machine. I think they can install "rpm" if they need it after installation.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hitman_dreams View Post
    Hi all,

I no longer need help finding a driver for my Canon Pixma MG5220 and just wanted to let people know where to find it in case you come across the same problem. Turns out Canon USA doesn't provide ANY Linux drivers at all. So, your options are to find a driver through TurboPrint etc. I stumbled upon this particular driver here:

http://support-au.canon.com.au/conte...100301702.html

Canon's Australia site. . . . So, there you have it. There is a driver and it works on Ubuntu 10.04

. . . .
    Many thanks, hitman. From driver download to successful test print page took me less than 10 minutes. Hurray once again for the Ubuntu Forums!

Beans

Just picked myself up a Canon Pixma MG5220 because it was on sale at Best Buy for $99. The drive worked and I'm able to print and scan. However, the functionality from the LCD screen is a bit off. I'm trying to use the scan feature from the LCD screen on the printer and I can't seem to get it to work. I know it's a trivial issue but I'm one of those folks who will not give up. Has anyone had success using the LCD screen features? For example, scan to PDF?

Thanks Hitman...

Beans

I have one more question if this thread is still alive. If I plug my printer into the wireless router (via ethernet cable) technically I should be able to access the printer from my ethernet connected desktop and wireless laptop (both running Ubuntu 10.10 64bit).

Currently, my wireless printer is connected directly to my desktop via usb. However, I want to make my wireless printer available to all computers in the house. I'm thinking that connecting my wireless printer to the router will all me to share the printer between computers? Does this sound correct? Also, would I need to uninstall the current driver or just run the setup again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast