Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 browser sits on "Looking up..."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ubuntu 10.04 browser sits on "Looking up..."

The issue I'm having is that browsers in Ubuntu 10.04 stall at the part of the process for loading web pages that is noted by the "Looking Up (website address)...". The page eventually continues to load, but it takes a long time. This problem effects all browsers on the machine (tried Firefox and Chromium). It is not a problem with the connection, because a Windows 7 laptop and even the Windows XP partition on the Ubuntu machine function as they should.

Ideas?

Beans
    Distro

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 browser sits on "Looking up..."

bump

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

"Looking up ..." means that your pc is querying a DNS server, to ask what IP address goes with the host specified in your URL.

in your network manager, add this dns server address for your connection.
    Code:
    (OpenDNS.org)

replacing the one already there (if there is one).

then save, reboot and see if your page load time is much improved.

Beans
    Distro

Hi,

How do you connect to Internet. DHCP or PPPoE/DSL?

Have you already tested your DNS?

ping www.google.com or ping www.yahoo.com resolve to an IP address?

If it being resolved, can you browse to that sites directly with the IP address and still have the same issue?

Also you may try to disable IPv6 in Firefox.

about:config

network.dns.disableIPv6 -> true

Regards,

Beans

I have the same problem. Dual boot to Win XP works normal. Have tried the disable IPv6 and it does not help at all. Chrome does the same thing. It has got to be an OS networking DNS problem of some kind. IP addresses work fast, just not resolving DNS very fast at all. Maybe some kind of virus?

I am using a Linksys router to a direct internet connection.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Pick73 View Post
    I have the same problem. Dual boot to Win XP works normal. Have tried the disable IPv6 and it does not help at all. Chrome does the same thing. It has got to be an OS networking DNS problem of some kind. IP addresses work fast, just not resolving DNS very fast at all. Maybe some kind of virus?

I am using a Linksys router to a direct internet connection.
    I used to have the same problem disabling IPv6 did not seem to help. I saw a marked improvement when I went to these DNS servers
    (like previously mentioned by endotherm) but I think these were google (don't remember now for sure).
    Last edited by bkratz; September 19th, 2011 at 11:00 AM.

Beans

Almost IDENTICAL (wireless) problem here - broadcom 4312 / SLOW to load / non-existant connection / network services of any kind at a snail's pace - or simply die: skype / ftp / browsing....

I have a MacBook Pro that has ZERO (wireless) issues....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by maclenin View Post
    Almost IDENTICAL (wireless) problem here - broadcom 4312 / SLOW to load / non-existant connection / network services of any kind at a snail's pace - or simply die: skype / ftp / browsing....

I have a MacBook Pro that has ZERO (wireless) issues....
    check your dns server address on the mac-side and see if it is using the same server as the ubuntu side of things. if it is, then it has to be a software side issue.

Beans

[Don't want to hijack this person's thread - just wanted to call attention to the fact that many others are struggling similarly - however, to answer your question, endotherm, YES - both mac-side and ubuntu-side are using same dns server....]

Beans
    Distro

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one.

As for the requests for more information:

The computer has a hard wired connection to a Belkin router which connects to a cable connection. I had the same problem with my Ubuntu laptop, suggesting to me that it was something common to 10.04 that doesn't play well with the connection. The very same laptop works fine with other connections.

And, just to be clear, it eventually does resolve the DNS connection, it just takes a ridiculously long amount of time. The rest of the loading process occurs at the speed one would expect from the connection.

Also, this computer is at my parents house. I'll email them some instructions and give them a call and see what happens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast