Thread: Mail Server w/o Port 25?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Mail Server w/o Port 25?

Okay, here's what I wanna do (even though I know very little about this stuff):

I'd like to run a mail server for my domain. This should be accessible using something like Roundcube or Atmail. Problem is, the local ISP has the following restrictions:

• No inbound port 80 (obviously outbound is allowed or else I wouldn't be on here)
    • No inbound or outbound port 25 except to their SMTP server (kinda dumb because it doesn't require authentication or really have any filtering)
    • 465 and 587 are allowed (less commonly-used ports but Gmail has these open)

The web host I was using for free to do this (OrangeServe) "updated" their systems yesterday to V4.0 and one of the new "features" is adverts on all free websites (which messes my entire site up, not to mention that now my site simply returns a 404 error). The solution I've designed for the website is to pretty much forward the domain root and the www subdomain on port 80 to something like w2.<domain>.<tld>:<port> through the redirect feature provided by PointHQ.com. Unfortunately, I need to host my own email because Google Apps does not allow .TK domains and I'm not even considering M$ H*tmail (and OrangeServe just doesn't work because they broke my entire site).

Now that I'm done rambling, can someone help me design a solution for this problem (for a green user because I suck at Linux)?
    Plz help me out on Dropbox - you'll get 250 MB extra too! Sign up and help!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Mail Server w/o Port 25?

Google apps? Will allow you set up an email service using your domain name.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Google apps? Will allow you set up an email service using your domain name.
    I explicitly said that Google Apps blocks .TK domains because they are free. I don't know a nicer way to say this: read more carefully! A few months ago, they disabled all accounts @something.tk and new signups redirect to sorry.google.com with no captcha to override it. At least last I checked.
    Plz help me out on Dropbox - you'll get 250 MB extra too! Sign up and help!

Beans

AFAIK, if your ISP is blocking incoming port 25, you won't be able to run a world-accessible mail server on your own local computer. Even if port 25 were unblocked, it's possible that it wouldn't work well, since many anti-spam systems block mail from or to residential accounts (which I'm guessing you've got).

Your best bet may be to go with a domain hosting provider. They host your domain (Web, e-mail, and perhaps other servers depending on your needs) on their server for a few dollars a month. Do a Web search on "domain hosting" and you'll get lots of hits. FWIW, I use Lunarpages, which charges $3.95 a month and up (way up), depending on your needs. (I've got a $6.95/month plan myself.)

One awkward feature with domain hosting is handling outgoing e-mail. Because your ISP blocks outgoing port-25 traffic, you'll have to either send outgoing e-mail through them or configure your mail clients to send on another port to your domain hosting ISP. The former option will work fine if your ISP doesn't insist that you use their domain name on outgoing e-mail and if recipients aren't too fussy about matching claimed domain names with server IP addresses. The latter option will work if the domain hosting provider offers the requisite support. Look into these details before signing up for a plan.

Another option might be to upgrade your local ISP plan. Many ISPs offer various grades of service. There may be a service grade that doesn't block those ports you want to use. My impression is that most such services cost enough that it'll be cheaper for you to use a domain hosting ISP, though.