Thread: Radeon 5830 video card

Beans

Radeon 5830 video card

Hello Forum,

I am slowly and steadily learning linux, I love ubuntu, its a great platform and I cannot recommend it to enough people.

I have a small not so serious issue with my ATI card.

After I install the FGLXR driver I get a small message in the bottom right hand corner of the desk top, it has the AMD logo and it says "unsupported hardware".

I have tried reinstalling the OS and have reinstalled the drivers but every time I do it comes back, it is not there on 10.04's stock drivers however.

Anyone know what I can do to get rid of it? As I said it isnt the end of the world, everything is running great, I installed NeverWinter Nights and it looks great except for the small AMD logo I mentioned.

I am getting used to it but i would like to get rid of it if possible.

I am running:

AMD Phenom 2 X4 945 Black
    4 gigs of A data ddr 2
    Gigabyte Radeon 5830
    Gigabyte mobo (cannot remember the model # right now as I am at work)
    Lucid Lynx 64 bit.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Beans

Re: Radeon 5830 video card

I've had a similar issue. It is likely your card is not yet supported in linux with the current driver. For fglrx you will have to wait for the next release or try a beta version. Its also possible it could be supported in an earlier Ubuntu release.

Beans

Another thing to try is using ATI's control file from another Catalyst release. Here is the control file from Catalyst 10.5 (released last week). Download it to your home directory and:
    Code:
    cd ~/
    tar xzf control.tar.gz
    sudo cp /etc/ati/control ~/control.bak
    sudo cp control /etc/ati
    Log out and back in to restart the X server.

If it doesn't work or breaks something, restore your old one:
    Code:
    sudo cp ~/control.bak /etc/ati
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    Another thing to try is using ATI's control file from another Catalyst release. Here is the control file from Catalyst 10.5 (released last week). Download it to your home directory and:
    Code:
    cd ~/
    tar xzf control.tar.gz
    sudo cp /etc/ati/control ~/control.bak
    sudo cp control /etc/ati
    Log out and back in to restart the X server.

If it doesn't work or breaks something, restore your old one:
    Code:
    sudo cp ~/control.bak /etc/ati

Thanks, I had the same problem with my new 5830 that arrived today. Now I don't. Now to check the HDMI cable and see if it works yet
    I could sit around and click "comment" all day. Instead, I'll help bring the Internet to it's knees with this signature, and a fresh download of Lucid.

Beans

These instructions worked flawlessly for me as far as I can tell. Exact same functionality as before (the driver seemed to be working fine already) but no annoying watermark. This is with the 5830 and 10.04 x86
    Reposted on my blog and gave credit/linked back here. Thank you! http://mypcchronicles.blogspot.com/
    Last edited by justindisgustin; September 12th, 2010 at 12:11 PM.

Beans

Thanks a lot man... I unfortunately had to search too hard through all the threads about this subject to find yours. The problem with using ATI's drivers is they don't work lol...they made video and stuff very choppy. This let's me use the fully functional fglrx but without the watermark...thanks!