Thread: Anyone know how to burn music to an iso rather than a physical CD?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Anyone know how to burn music to an iso rather than a physical CD?

The reason I want to do this is simple- I spent a good day or two converting my mp3s to oggs, both to save space and because I prefer the codec for listening. So, as you would lose audio fidelity by straight transcoding, I loaded the mp3s in Audacity and exported them as OGGs to retain quality.

Of course, this takes forever, and isn't very practical.

A common way for people to strip DRM in Windows or on OS X is to burn their collection from the DRM program to a fake CD drive which a secondary program simulatneously rips back into another format.

I'd like to use this same method, to burn all my mp3s at once to a massive audio CD image, an iso, then somehow mount it and rip it all back as a different format in one fell swoop. However, I'm unaware of any tools that can do this, or if it's a simple matter of mounting a fake CD filesystem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated- and if you don't have a solution, thank you for taking the time to read this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Anyone know how to burn music to an iso rather than a physical CD?

Brasero can write an image file rather than write to a CD if there is no CDR in the drive.
    "Don't Panic"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Anyone know how to burn music to an iso rather than a physical CD?

hmmphh im not exactly sure what your asking but i'll answer the title of your thread.

do you have gnomebaker? - its awesome, if you don't have it: its in the universe repositories.

launch gnomebaker: drag down the desired files : hit burn on the lower right (DVD Dl format will give you the most space if you jsut creating iso for fun)

after you hit burn the first tab on the "create data dvd" window is writing. Very bottom of that window lets you just create the iso without actually burning it. - ive used this MANY MANY times and its worked perfectly for me every time, hope it does for you.
    Last edited by mrhhug; October 1st, 2010 at 05:44 AM.