Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Printer drivers for Lexmark Pinnacle Pro901 printer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Printer drivers for Lexmark Pinnacle Pro901 printer

I'm looking for printer drivers for a Lexmark Printer: Pinnacle Pro 901. I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 on an old Dell laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Printer drivers for Lexmark Pinnacle Pro901 printer

They're available from Lexmark's US web site (www.lexmark.com). Just go to Downloads, search for pro901, and grab the Linux drivers (as of this posting, the latest ones for Ubuntu are the Debian-based ones at the very bottom, version 1.5).

They're 32-bit only, though, so if you're running 64-bit, you might be out of luck. I'm actually running 64-bit Ubuntu and came across this thread trying to find a workaround. But if you're on 32-bit, which it sounds like you probably are, you should be good to go.

/Kevin

Beans

Did you get it to work?

And what about the other functions of the "printer"?

I'm considering to buy me one for 100€.. seems to be a good prize if printing costs are around 1cent/ b&w-sheet.

edit:

I saw

Firmware update for Pro800-Pro900 Series printers 32 & 64 bit.

at the German download page...
    Last edited by Pifilatakanemu; October 27th, 2010 at 05:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Pifilatakanemu View Post
    Did you get it to work?

And what about the other functions of the "printer"?

I'm considering to buy me one for 100€.. seems to be a good prize if printing costs are around 1cent/ b&w-sheet.

edit:

I saw

Firmware update for Pro800-Pro900 Series printers 32 & 64 bit.

at the German download page...

I was able to use the 32-bit drivers under 64-bit Ubuntu 10.10 and it worked fine. The process was a bit convoluted but it worked in the end.

(That link you gave for the 32-bit and 64-bit stuff is just the printer's firmware, which has nothing to do with the drivers or making the printer work on the computer. But yes, they do offer that in 64-bit, which is nice -- I used those first to update the firmware and that worked great. The drivers were definitely more difficult.)

I have ONLY tried it as a printer, which works perfectly. I haven't tried to scan from my laptop or use any of its other features or functions. I will try to do that and get back to you.

/Kevin

Beans

Hey Kevin,

that would be really great!

I scanned through some reviews and saw that the device offers some autonomous features but scanning from the laptop should be possible with Ubuntu...

I'll have to buy it as a commercial client so I would not have the possibility to return it. So your feedback is kindly expected!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Pifilatakanemu View Post
    Hey Kevin,

that would be really great!

I scanned through some reviews and saw that the device offers some autonomous features but scanning from the laptop should be possible with Ubuntu...

I'll have to buy it as a commercial client so I would not have the possibility to return it. So your feedback is kindly expected!

Okay, my initial findings are not positive. So far, I'm unable to get scanning to work. As best I can tell, Lexmark only supports the Pro901 under Linux as a *printer* -- the rest of the features aren't supported under Linux.

I found and installed Lexmark's Network Scan Drivers, but they're designed for other network scanning devices, and as such, it doesn't appear to work with the Pro901.

I contacted Lexmark's technical support using their online support... and naturally, the online support only deals with Mac and Windows. For Linux, you have to call a separate number and ask for the "Linux department, they are the ones who handle Linux."

The number is 1-800-834-7814. I don't have time to call tonight, but maybe this coming weekend. (If you want to call, go for it, and be sure post your findings!)

I'll try to remember to post back here after I call 'em. Don't be afraid to bump this thread if you haven't heard back from me by next week, though. hehe

/Kevin

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by commonplace View Post
    I was able to use the 32-bit drivers under 64-bit Ubuntu 10.10 and it worked fine. The process was a bit convoluted but it worked in the end.

(That link you gave for the 32-bit and 64-bit stuff is just the printer's firmware, which has nothing to do with the drivers or making the printer work on the computer. But yes, they do offer that in 64-bit, which is nice -- I used those first to update the firmware and that worked great. The drivers were definitely more difficult.)

I have ONLY tried it as a printer, which works perfectly. I haven't tried to scan from my laptop or use any of its other features or functions. I will try to do that and get back to you.

/Kevin
    Hello Kevin,

How did you get the drivers to work? I am also using Ubuntu 10.10 under 64-bit, and downloaded two different possible drivers for the pro901 from Lexmark. I have been unable to get them to work, they both keep saying...

"dpkg: error processing lexmark-legacy-wsu-1.0-1.i386.deb (--install):
    package architecture (i386) does not match system (amd64)
    Errors were encountered while processing:"

Thx Joe

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by darkmail752 View Post
    Hello Kevin,

How did you get the drivers to work? I am also using Ubuntu 10.10 under 64-bit, and downloaded two different possible drivers for the pro901 from Lexmark. I have been unable to get them to work, they both keep saying...

"dpkg: error processing lexmark-legacy-wsu-1.0-1.i386.deb (--install):
    package architecture (i386) does not match system (amd64)
    Errors were encountered while processing:"

Thx Joe
    I ended up using a different file. I uploaded it to Ubuntu One just now. I think this is all you need. I knew I should have documented it at the time!

Anyway, download the file to its own folder, open up a terminal, and run:

Code:
    sudo dpkg --force-architecture -iG *.deb
    Then restart CUPS:

Code:
    sudo restart cups
    Then I think you just add the printer normally. (Sorry, I forget what I had to do exactly.) I think when you go to Printing and click Add, just wait a minute and on the left you'll see a new printer type (Lexmark Backend or something similar) and then you choose that and go from there, which hopefully is self-explanatory.

If you get stuck, post back and let me know and maybe I'll remember. Just know that it can definitely be done, so you're not wasting your time. Still no go on network scanning, though, and I don't think it's going to work for the foreseeable future, which stinks. But I'm happy with the printing.

/Kevin

Beans

Lexmark published new drivers for linux, which also include 64 bit version. Works perfect for me. Still no support for direct scanning to pc, but it isn't very annoying with scanning to pendrive or via email directly from printer touchscreen.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zylx View Post
    Lexmark published new drivers for linux, which also include 64 bit version. Works perfect for me. Still no support for direct scanning to pc, but it isn't very annoying with scanning to pendrive or via email directly from printer touchscreen.
    Thanks! I didn't know they'd put out new drivers. (Once I got it working, I didn't check back.) I'll stick with what I have, but it's good to know that the next time I reinstall or setup a new machine, I can use "real" drivers.

/Kevin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast