Thread: Looking for a stable router

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Looking for a stable router

Hi!
    My belkin router and wireless access point broke down the other day (after one year and a month of use and a one year warranty) but I wasn't quite happy with it anyway. So now i'm looking for a wireless router thats not a piece of crap. I would like it to be able to hold some connections (if i use bitorrent for example), take at least three laptops and one wired desktop. Speed is not a huge thing since i seldom transfer files other than to and from internet so i don't think i'll need N standard. I've been looking at linksys WRT54GL that you apparently can load different linux firmwares in. Anyone has any experience? Which brands are of quality?

Greetings from Sweden

Björn

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Looking for a stable router

the linksys router you suggested is a very good peice of equipment. the firmware that is available for it is called DD-WRT, more info can be found here(click). it isnt linux in the sense of ubuntu, but its still more capable than stock configuration.
    in terms of wireless N standards, if you have a N capable wireless card in any of your laptops i would highly suggest spending the extra to get that.
    Here is a list of Routers from Newegg.com that support the DD-WRT firmware(click). i have experience with the Rosewill RNX router listed there, and it has gone very well with me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I have always used D-Link and I am pretty happy with it. Never had problems with stability. Search for version DSL-2740R, its a home wii modem router.
    The trouble with computers, of course, is that they are very sophisticated idiots.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Thanks guys!
    I went for the linksys, seems like a good option since none of the laptops have N-standard wifi. So far so good, thinking about overclocking it and/or increasing the power of the transmitter. Does anyone know if there's any gain from that with a 15/15 mb internet?

Björn