Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows licenses and Virtualbox

Beans

Windows licenses and Virtualbox

Hi all,

Sorry if this is an obvious question, but I either don't understand something that is obvious to everyone else about Windows or else I just can't find the answer I'm looking for...

Background: I'm a 20+ year Mac user, switched four years ago to Linux. I have NO experience with Windows to speak of. Whenever I've gotten a new box, it's either been home-built or a Mac.

Now I have a new Acer Aspire AS7551 laptop, and although I have not yet booted into Windows, it comes with a Windows 7 Home Premium license. I've been running it with Ubuntu 10.04 off a flash drive and everything works perfectly.

What I want to do: I want to wipe the disk, install Lucid, and run Windows in Virtualbox (for the sole purpose of watching some Netflix and learning a little bit about Windows 7).

For the purpose of this question, please accept that I DO NOT want to dual boot.

The problem: From what I can find, I can't use the "recovery discs" that came with my laptop to create a virtual machine. This is confusing, because it seems like I paid for a legitimate Windows license for use with this laptop.

Questions:

1. Would MS exchange my recovery discs for a regular install disc to go with my license code if I explained this to them? Have any of you tried this (the "reasonable approach")?

2. If not, is there a source for Windows ISOs that I can safely use with my license? (I am aware that the legitimacy of that approach is questionable, but I am quite comfortable with the ethics since I paid for Windows 7, own the license, and only want to use it on the same computer. If you disapprove, I agree to disagree with you and maybe you can help with the next question).

3. If not, is there any way in heck I can use my recovery disc to create something Virtualbox can work with?

4. If not, how are all of you people getting your Windows virtual machines going??

Thanks.

(I have read that Acer is a major hassle to get a refund from for the "Windows tax" so I might as well be able to use it--this is MS' chance to win over a fan if only they will let me!)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Windows licenses and Virtualbox

I haven't tried either of these, so I cannot vouch for them, but here's two that Google turned up:
    http://serverfault.com/questions/336...a-physical-one
    http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Migrate_Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I have downloaded this and burnt to DVD, but have not tried it yet:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/wind...ta-before.html
    Colin
    Registered Linux User #318277
    The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 25648

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Call the manufacturer get a straight install ISO or DVD, that will activate with your oem key and install in Vbox.

You don't want the oem disc or recovery it is set up for extras you don't need and drivers that will be unavailable in Vbox.

Beans

rcb, i'd seen that approach here on the forums about creating from an existing install. it's an option but it looks like a nightmare.

colin.p, just what i'm looking for. if it works, i'll mark as solved.

wilee, a reasonable next step.

thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ufugu View Post
    ...The problem: From what I can find, I can't use the "recovery discs" that came with my laptop to create a virtual machine. This is confusing, because it seems like I paid for a legitimate Windows license for use with this laptop.
    You GOT a "legitimate Windows license" -- an OEM license.

ALL they are required to so is provide you the MEANS of restoring the PC to its original condition -- which they do through a combination of Restore CDs (which are usually little more than WinRE boot CDs) and an OEM Win7 image stored on the hard drive.

They are NOT required to provide you an installation DVD.

Sure, it won't hurt to ask them for an installation DVD, but don't be surprised if they (1) say no, or (2) want to charge you full price for one.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I would just download an iso of that version of windows. At the end of the day I see this a legal act as you dont pay for the os but the os licence key which you own and have paid for.

I did this with xp as I only had my xp key and no disc to run on vbox.

Beans

Well, the Windows 7 ISO method was pretty good. I was able to remove the cfg file from the ISO, and super easy to install in Virtualbox and worked great once I installed the sound driver and GuestAdditions and Silverlight. Netflix (which was the one thing I really wanted it for) worked very well full screen.

But my activation key wouldn't work--apparently a key for the OEM version of Home Premium and the retail version of the same exact thing are not interchangeable.

After spending a good ten hours on trying to figure all this out I've come to the conclusion (at least for now!):

If they are so paranoid that they won't even let me use something I paid for, scr3w 'em. So I won't get one thing I wanted, big deal, I didn't really miss it when I was 100% Ubuntu so that's what I'll stick with.

I've never had feelings for MS either pro or con. But no wonder they have so many "pirates" if they penalize even honest users with such drastic paranoia. That goes for you too Netflix! Buh bye!

Beans

A virtual machine "counts" as a different computer so far as Microsoft is concerned. The OEM license applies only to the original hardware, not to "virtual" hardware. You need to purchase an additional license for each virtual machine to be in strict compliance with the Microsoft EULA.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

snowpine is correct. That license is only for use on that particular notebook. You may not use it in a virtual machine.
    Don't you just adore Microsoft licensing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast