Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to completely remove Wine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

How to completely remove Wine

Ok, so I was having trouble with wine -- it was starting up slow, and I decided I just wanted to delete everything in it and start over. After a while, I figured out how to do that, and I'm posting this here in case anyone else needs to do the same. Hopefully, someone will find this useful.
    Code:
    wineserver -k
    sudo apt-get remove --purge wine wine1.2 winetricks -y -f
    rm -rf $HOME/.wine
    rm -rf $HOME/.winetrickscache
    rm -f $HOME/.config/menus/applications-merged/wine*
    rm -rf $HOME/.local/share/applications/wine
    rm -f $HOME/.local/share/desktop-directories/wine*
    rm -f $HOME/.local/share/icons/????_*.xpm
    To reinstall wine, run:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install wine1.2
    This will delete EVERYTHING in your Wine installation. Make sure you don't have anything you care about in there before doing this.
    Last edited by ALIENDUDE5300; June 27th, 2010 at 07:10 PM. Reason: added warning

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: How to completely remove Wine

Honestly your apt-get command should do the trick for everything.
    Completely removing the .wine directory after doing this is pretty much redundant. (and possibly others)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Actually, the .wine directory is left behind and so is the .winetricache (if you actually used winetricks in the first place), but all that stuff about removing the menus and shortcuts should be completely unnecessary. Also, specifying the "wine1.2" package is unnecessary. Both the uninstall and install commands only need "wine" to function. For example, "sudo apt-get install wine" will always give you the latest version available from the repositories. If you have added the WineHQ repository, that means you will currently get one of the 1.2 release candidates; if you only have the Ubuntu repositories, that means you will only get 1.0.1.

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Beans
    Distro

If the .wine directory is left behind during a --purge then something is wrong..

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cogadh View Post
    Actually, the .wine directory is left behind and so is the .winetricache (if you actually used winetricks in the first place), but all that stuff about removing the menus and shortcuts should be completely unnecessary. Also, specifying the "wine1.2" package is unnecessary. Both the uninstall and install commands only need "wine" to function. For example, "sudo apt-get install wine" will always give you the latest version available from the repositories. If you have added the WineHQ repository, that means you will currently get one of the 1.2 release candidates; if you only have the Ubuntu repositories, that means you will only get 1.0.1.
    if you have the wine ppa installed, winetricks is now automatically installed with wine1.2. That's why I included that command in there. The stuff about menus and shortcuts is totally useful to me, as I hate the clutter of having programs I don't have installed listed in the menus. I wanted to start from a fresh slate.
    Last edited by ALIENDUDE5300; June 28th, 2010 at 08:46 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by hikaricore View Post
    If the .wine directory is left behind during a --purge then something is wrong..
    I tried a purge, but that was insufficient. These commands pretty much guarantee that everything related to wine is completely deleted.

Beans
    Distro

The entire purpose behind purge is to remove the application completely including all the data it installed or created.
    Unless something has changed recently..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by ALIENDUDE5300 View Post
    if you have the wine ppa installed, winetricks is now automatically installed with wine1.2. That's why I included that command in there. The stuff about menus and shortcuts is totally useful to me, as I hate the clutter of having programs I don't have installed listed in the menus. I wanted to start from a fresh slate.
    Winetricks is also installed if you just run "sudo apt-get install wine" with the PPA enabled (that is the WineHQ repository), but that doesn't create the .winetrickscache directory, it is only created when you actually use the winetricks script (just like the .wine directory is only created when you actually use Wine). All that shortcut stuff should get removed when you uninstall Wine, if it isn't, then hikaricore is right, there is something wrong with what the --purge is doing.

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Beans
    Distro

It's been a while since the last post, but for the record, ALIENDUDE5300 is right, at least in my own experience. The winetrickscache contents are not removed when purging wine or winetricks because they are not recorded in the apt-get history, but downloaded and installed by winetricks, which is a shell script. The winetricks script installation itself is a single file copy, and that's all that's removed when uninstalling winetricks.

WineHQ acknowledges that the application menu items are not removed when uninstalling the Windows applications. The instructions for removing wine application menu items that ALIENDUDE5300 gave are from the WineFAQ:

The ~/.wine directory does not contain the wine installation, but is what wine calls the wineprefix, which contains the Windows application installations and configuration files. When a Windows application fails to work in wine, the standard "undo" is to delete the .wine directory, which purges the wine *application* installations. Then running winecfg re-initializes wine, causing it to "forget" the previous Windows application installations. You are effectively then re-starting from scratch with wine intact, and no Windows applications, except "fakeie" that comes with wine 1.2+.

FWIW...
    Last edited by rtimai; August 23rd, 2010 at 01:23 AM. Reason: clarification

Beans

This is really helpful. I had the wine folder I purged wine and this commands helped remove everything. Thanks mate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast