Thread: Transferring Tomboy Notes to new Computer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Transferring Tomboy Notes to new Computer

I have a new computer and have successfully installed Ubuntu Lucid on it. I had all my data backed up on an external HDD together with my Firefox profile and bookmarks, so have successfully retrieved all these.

However I completely forgot about Tomboy notes. I still have my old computer so I can retrieve them. I have found that the notes are on ~/.local/shared/tomboy.

To hopefully save myself wasting too much time as I will have to reassemble the old computer, if I transfer the ~/.local/share/tomboy folder to the new computer, will that transfer the notes from the old one OK or is there another file or folder that I will need to transfer as well - a configuration file, for example?
    Geoff Walker

Hewlett Packard G72: Ubuntu 10.04, Lucid Lynx
    Acer Aspire One: Linux Mint 11, Katya

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Transferring Tomboy Notes to new Computer

copying the ~/.local/share/tomboy should do it.

contains all your previous notes. no other config option files required.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Worked fine. You need to reboot but once you do the notes were all in Tomboy.

Thanks.

Geoff
    Geoff Walker

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Tootler View Post
    Worked fine. You need to reboot but once you do the notes were all in Tomboy.

Thanks.

Geoff
    I have now also synchronised my tomboy notes with Ubuntu One. Very useful extra backup.
    Geoff Walker

Beans

Exclamation Re: Transferring Tomboy Notes to new Computer

There's a bug (which has been reported) in Tomboy under Ubuntu 11.04. If you select a file to delete, it actually deletes the one BEFORE it in the file list! Unfortunately, you cannot recover it as you could previously (~/Tomboy/backup...) as the directory no longer exists. If anyone knows how to recover deleted files in the new version I would be very grateful to know. In the meantime, I will try to find the answer myself.
    kaspin
    Kaspin knows no fear, he knows no danger, he knows nothing....
    Ubuntu 11.04 on Samsung N150, Ubuntu 10.10 on Asus a6000. ******* needed to update TomTom.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You can create your own tomboy backup.

Further up this thread gives the location of tomboy notes as ~/.local/share/tomboy

Copy this directory to some other location ~/Tomboy/backup will do but it is better if you copy it to an external drive so you can recover if other things go wrong.

Keep the backup up to date so you can quickly copy it back to the tomboy directory if you make a mistake. I also sync my tomboy notes with ubuntu one, though an accidently deleted note will get removed when you next sync. Syncing with ubuntu one is useful if you have tomboy notes on more than one computer so you can keep them synced on both computers.

Cheers

Geoff
    Geoff Walker