Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: driver for canon pixma mp280 printer

Beans

Re: driver for canon pixma mp280 printer

Twipley,
    I would really appreciate it if you could send me also a color scan at 75dpi and 600dpi for comparison.
    Learning the mechanism requires good teachers and dedication

Beans

Hello Twipley,

Update:
    1)I have constructed a PNM image from the 1200dpi color log you sent me, and it looks fine as it is, no artifacts that need to be taken care of in the code.
    2) I won't need any other scans.

So, you should try the latest SANE, either 1.0.23 or the git source code, and see if you can scan at 1200dpi correctly.

Regards,
    Gernot

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by aikishugyo View Post
    Thanks for the effort, it finally paid off.
    Okay, great to hear! You're welcome.

So, you should try the latest SANE, either 1.0.23 or the git source code, and see if you can scan at 1200dpi correctly.
    I have lost possession of the scanner, but if anyone else wants to try it, they should note that selecting 1200-dpi scan in the options is not enough, as, for example Simple Scan, tries to pass off 600 dpi for 1200 dpi. What is needed is to really, as far as I am aware of, check that the 1200-dpi scan contains twice as much pixels in each axis, in comparison with the 600-dpi one.

I also cannot remember which driver quantal recommended by default. I think it was something beginning with the letter "g," but cannot ascertain that it was gutenprint. At any rate, I don't remember seeing anything relating to SANE. Recommended driver topped at 600 dpi for the actual scanning resolution, too, through the Simple-Scan frontend.

Cheers!
    twipley

Last edited by twipley; October 20th, 2012 at 12:56 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by twipley View Post
    I have lost possession of the scanner, but if anyone else wants to try it, they should note that selecting 1200-dpi scan in the options is not enough, as, for example Simple Scan, tries to pass off 600 dpi for 1200 dpi. What is needed is to really, as far as I am aware of, check that the 1200-dpi scan contains twice as much pixels in each axis, in comparison with the 600-dpi one.
    There is no limitation in the SANE library, it is simply stated in the SANE support webpage that 1200dpi does not work yet. This is clearly outdated, since it should work perfectly fine as no data manipulation is needed to compensate for this scanner.

What SimpleScan does I do not know, certainly in SANE there is no such thing as "passing off 600dpi as 1200", you simply cannot select higher resolutions than what is avaible on that device.

To be sure, you should use scanimage from the command line, or Xsane, to check whether you can get a 1200dpi scan. If you work from the commandline, even with Xsane (starting with xsane command) with the pixma debug variable enabled (man sane-pixma) you can send me the output (I know you don't have the scanner now) where I can check that the scanner received a command to scan at 1200dpi.

I also cannot remember which driver quantal recommended by default. I think it was something beginning with the letter "g," but cannot ascertain that it was gutenprint. At any rate, I don't remember seeing anything relating to SANE. Recommended driver topped at 600 dpi for the actual scanning resolution, too, through the Simple-Scan frontend.
    I don't think there is any other driver than SANE, unless it is a proprietary one from Canon or some VueScan. You might be talking about the front-end.

Beans
    Hidden!

Just for the info, I am installing that printer to where it belongs right now, and default (recommended) driver indeed is the "Canon PIXMA MP280 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.9 [en]."

Beans

Just for the info, I am installing that printer to where it belongs right now, and default (recommended) driver indeed is the "Canon PIXMA MP280 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.9 [en]."
    Great! Now, for the scanning. I am pretty sure there can still be a probem with SANE (either 1.0.23 or the CVS source). So I would appreciate if you could scan at 600 and 1200 dpi in SANE and let me know what happens: I suggest using scanimage from the commandline for now, but you may use xsane as well if you prefer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

here the instructions to get and compile SANE from CVS. Yes, you probably need CVS SANE from git to get support for the newer scanners.

When you run sudo xsane (and accept the risk of running as root) then the console should show pixma module output, including the fact that it could not match the USB ID with any scanner model.

To get the CVS code, you need git installed. Then you can do inside a source direcftory (I usually use ~/src):

Code:
    mkdir ~/src
    cd ~/src
    git clone git://git.debian.org/sane/sane-backends.git
    Reference: http://www.sane-project.org/cvs.html

Go to sane-backends, and try to compile:
    Code:
    cd sane-backends
    BACKENDS="pixma" ./configure
    make
    sudo make install
    I don't know if you will need some dependencies first (like gcc, some parsers maybe, etc.)

SANE is installed into /usr/local, so it does not overwrite the system SANE. But you may need to always run xsane as sudo to be sure that you access the new pixma libraries.

Regards,
    Gernot Hassenpflug

Thanks aikishugyo, Gernot, scan people for your time and effort!

two days working on 12.04 and now scanner issues.
    yes, i want XSane to work!! (stupid me)
    Canon pixma mp280.
    Followed your steps, which made the canon scan under 10.04 a few months ago. Now I get this

Code:
    :~/src/sane-backends$ xsane
    [sanei_debug] Setting debug level of pixma to 3.
    [pixma] pixma is compiled with pthread support.
    [pixma] pixma version 0.16.2
    [pixma] sanei_bjnp_find_devices:
    [pixma] eth0 is IPv4 capable, sending broadcast..
    [pixma] pixma_find_scanners() found 0 devices
    xxx@xdx:~/src/sane-backends$
    no devices... scanner turned on.

uname -a
    Code:
    3.2.0-32-generic-pae #51-Ubuntu SMP Wed Sep 26 21:54:23 UTC 2012 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
    Last edited by freacert; November 1st, 2012 at 09:43 PM.

Beans

Hi,
    It means the MP280 was not found by the network backend, apprently. Since the pixma driver is separate from the network backend, please connect directly via USB first, to deal with the actual driver.
    After that, any problems with the network backend (special rules needed, perhaps) can be handled.
    Regards,
    Gernot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

hello!
    yes, eth0, strange, because the canon pixma MP280 is not a network printer, can only be connected by usb!

lsusb
    Code:
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 05fe:0011 Chic Technology Corp. Browser Mouse
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 04a9:1746 Canon, Inc.
    Last edited by freacert; November 2nd, 2012 at 07:21 AM. Reason: added output lsusb

Beans

Hi,
    Interesting OK, so neither the network backend (the information is not relevant, it appears) nor the pixma backend found anything.
    Hence I'm pretty sure you have done something wrong. I had a closer look at the current source code, and the pixma backend there is version 0.17.0, not 0.16.2 as in your case! So you are not using the source pixma backend... That means the MP280 is still declared as experimental in your current backend and will not be activated unless you choose the experimental debug option. I don't remember what that is, since it does not exist in the source code anymore (I could try to search the archives on the SANE ML, and you could find out by doing "man sane-pixma" on your system, but it is more productive to use the newer code).

Your best bet is to actually do what you copied/pasted in the instructions for getting and compiling/installing the source code, and making sure that your pixma backend is updated to version 0.17.0. Then the MP280 will be found.

As I don't know what you actually did in getting and installing the source code, please let me know if you had trouble compiling the code---I assumed from your previous post that you had done that without trouble.

Regards,
    Gernot
    Last edited by aikishugyo; November 2nd, 2012 at 07:25 AM. Reason: clarification

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast