Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: driver for canon pixma mp280 printer

Beans

Re: driver for canon pixma mp280 printer

Quote Originally Posted by pdc View Post

in a terminal;

If you do this, do you get the programme scangear loading...
    If I write scangearamp in a terminal I get the same message than with Gimp. Scanner not found.

What I did to install the drivers is in my previous post.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I installed the drivers from the Canon website as listed above and everything is working fine for me, printing and scanning.
    Running Ubuntu 11.10.

Does it cause problems if the printer is on and connected via USB when installing the drivers? Initially it wasn't working but after trying the install again today everything is good. Does rebooting affect the driver install?

Scanning works well, accessing it through GIMP.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Exclamation Re: driver for canon pixma mp280 printer

Kubuntu 12.04 64bit, printer works well after having installed the Canon drivers (.deb). Scanner works only after having installed the drivers version 1.80, precisely these two files:

- https://code.launchpad.net/~michael-gruz/+archive/canon-trunk/+build/2890941/+files/scangearmp-common_1.80-0%7E11%7Eprecise1_amd64.deb

- https://code.launchpad.net/~michael-...ise1_amd64.deb

User-friendliness: zero 0.

How to scan? Ksane and other program don't detect any scanner. Terminal > snagearmp ? This is not possible at all to do every day, for many users can be a single good reason to abandon Ubuntu.

(bracket on)
    Ok, we cannot blame Ubuntu because Canon releases the drivers (this is always the official story), but I ask myself why I spent half a day and my free time just to install a damned printer (and why I spent this time for the webcam, mouse, and so on).
    If Linux wants to keep users (I have plenty of patience and support Linux since years, but I'm almost done now. Cannot imagine the reaction of someone who can't wait to have an excuse to go back to windows..) they MUST talk/lobby with the major companies and be sure that there will be an easy .deb package on their websites which will install drivers and some graphical-decent software!

How can I never install Ubuntu on my newbies parents' pc? No way...Ubuntu/linux is far better than 10 years ago, but instead of renovating the graphical interface every 6 months, they should start to do some serious lobbying.
    (bracket off)
    All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume.
    (Noam Chomsky)

Beans

sorry to hear you are so frustrated about the installation; you sound very fed up and brassed off with things;

as part of your frustration and irritation you say

terminal > scagearmp ? This is not possible at all to do every day, f
    to help that sort of reaction, in my post (#62) I gave a link as to how to install a launcher; I see you use kubuntu 64bit

I post it again

http://linuxhelp.host.org/index.php?...create-desktop

I am sorry your experience of installation was so frustrating; I recently installed a Canon MG2160 and then on another computer the MG3160; both were very quick and straightforward; I created a launcher for scangearmp and I have been very pleased with both;

You have obviously been a big supporter of linux and everyone would hope you stay part of the linux community and can help and support others;

best wishes

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LK_gandalf_ View Post
    Kubuntu 12.04 64bit, printer works well after having installed the Canon drivers (.deb). Scanner works only after having installed the drivers version 1.80 /../
    How to scan? Ksane and other program don't detect any scanner. Terminal > snagearmp ? This is not possible at all to do every day, for many users can be a single good reason to abandon Ubuntu.
    Hi, my 2 cents worth.

I've been involved on the Canon side with both the SANE project (scanner support) and the gutenprint project (inkjet printer support); on the latter I am currently the maintainer of the Canon backend, and as far as the former goes, I am always happy to work on adding more support for new Canon scanners.

1) SANE should support the MP280 (it is marked in the code as untested), so if you would try it with SANE and giove feedback, we could ensure built-in support on linux platforms. Scanner support is generally fairly straightforward to add.

2) Gutenprint also supports to MP280, although the Canon backend is not perfect: photo printing may be less than ideal, and there may be issues with calibration of the colors, depending on the media and resolution chosen. However, feedback is welcome.

Regards,
    Gernot Hassenpflug
    Learning the mechanism requires good teachers and dedication

Beans

thanks for this post aikishugyo; pleased to help if I can with the MG2100 and the MG3100

lsusb for the 2100 gives

04a9:1751
    and sane-find-scanner gives

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon], product=0x1751 [MG2100 series]) at libusb:001:004
    # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by
    # SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.
    however both

scanimage -L
    and

sudo scanimage -L

No scanners were identified.
    the files from here

http://www.sane-project.org/man/sane-pixma.5.html

all seem to be loaded

xsane reports no scanner;

pleased to receive guidance on how to get things going

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by aikishugyo View Post
    1) SANE should support the MP280 (it is marked in the code as untested), so if you would try it with SANE and giove feedback, we could ensure built-in support on linux platforms. Scanner support is generally fairly straightforward to add.
    Hi and thank you all for the replies. I will be happy to help with a feedback, just need more info on what to do
    All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume.
    (Noam Chomsky)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pdc View Post
    thanks for this post aikishugyo; pleased to help if I can with the MG2100 and the MG3100. /../
    pleased to receive guidance on how to get things going
    1) What is the SANE version.
    2) If you run xsane as root and first set the debug level for the pixma backend, then we can discover if the version of SANE used on your system recognizes the MP280 or not. Here is how (man sane-pixma for mor info):

export SANE_DEBUG_PIXMA=3
    xsane

If the MP280 is not registered in your version of SANE, you'll need to download a new version from CVS repository and compile it to get support. It's not hard, I can explain as needed.

If the MP280 is recognized by SANE (specifically the pixma backend), then I'll have to work on correcting bugs---but for that probably we'll need some USB sniffs from Windows.

Let's try the debug first.
    Regards,
    Gernot Hassenpflug

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LK_gandalf_ View Post
    Hi and thank you all for the replies. I will be happy to help with a feedback, just need more info on what to do
    Please see my answer to pdc's post on how to check that your SANE version actually has supposed support for the MP280 in it.

Regards,
    Gernot Hassenpflug

Beans

Hi Gernot;

is it okay to use this thread for investigating the scanning of the MG2160 and the MG3160?

1.0.14-9 is the version of sane that I have installed

so I coped into a terminal

export SANE_DEBUG_PIXMA=3
    and then following your advice to run xsane as root typed

sudo xsane
    and received the suitably dire warning enclosed as screenshot!

so I tried

xsane
    and sane could not detect any devices and plucking up all my courage I reverted to root with

sudo xsane
    it was the same: no devices detected

.. sounds like I may need this??

you'll need to download a new version from CVS repository and compile it to get support. It's not hard, I can explain as needed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast