Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dell latitude E6510 -- won't boot off CD

Beans

Re: dell latitude E6510 -- won't boot off CD

I tried installing Ubuntu 10.04 x64 on one of these machines last week. I experienced all of the same problems everyone else has with the screen going black when booting from a LiveCD. I got the onboard graphics, and then finally the graphics card, working by following the methods posted in this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1509957&page=2

This method ultimately requires a proprietary nVidia graphics driver for getting the graphics card to work. Once that is setup correctly, following the steps in the thread, Ubuntu will function normally. Grub will function normally.

The one single difference you will notice, or that I have noticed so far, is the loading screen for the OS (which says "Ubuntu" and has the five little orange and white dots that change colors) will be displayed using the onboard graphics, and not the graphics card which uses the nVidia graphics driver. As a result, the resolution will be off and the loading screen will look like crap.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nair View Post

This method ultimately requires a proprietary nVidia graphics driver for getting the graphics card to work.
    This thread is all about the same laptop model but with different options: mine does not have an nVidia card, only an Intel integrated graphics Controller with i915 chipset.

Good for you guys having an nVidia card that there is a solution. Should we start a different thread for the i915-problem?

Beans

Apparantely, there is a temporary solution for us guys having the integrated intel controller (i915) by patching a vanilla 2.6.36-rc6 kernel with:
    https://bugs.freedesktop.org/attachment.cgi?id=38868

I did not check it out -- I have no experience in kernel patches

Source:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/600453

Beans

Lightbulb Re: dell latitude E6510 -- won't boot off CD

Running Ubuntu 10.10 with the current kernel 2.6.35-24 on a Dell 6510 with intel graphics 1920x1080 ... having the same problems as described above: The computer boots and then goes dark. Besides the dark screen, most things (sound, disk-access, computing, network, etc.) work fine.

I have a kind-of-solution which is not perfect but applicable for me:
    - Attach an external screen (1600x1200) via display port (using an adapter to DVI).
    - Boot the computer.
    => The attached screen shows what should be shown on the built-in screen.
    - Wait for the login screen to appear on the external screen.
    - Attach the external screen also via VGA.
    => The built-in screen suddenly turns okay (shows what it should) and stays that way until the screen settings are changed again (e. g. by games).

After this you can work normally with a dual-screen setup. You also can disconnect the VGA again. Connecting or disconnecting it seems to trigger something which turns on the built-in screen.

Main disadvantage: You can only work with an additional screen at hand.

Additional problems I've got:
    - Display looks like it's in 16bit-mode (but 'wish' and 'winfo depth .' shows 24).
    - Some applications (mostly graphics-related) break the situation up to hanging up the computer completely.
    - Neither hibernate nor sleep mode works properly.
    - Touch pad is only supported as simple mouse (I cannot disable the touch-click or use any of the special functions like scrolling).

I'm now gonna try to install an up-stream kernel. Any information on this procedure is welcome.

Alfe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12