Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dell latitude E6510 -- won't boot off CD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

dell latitude E6510 -- won't boot off CD

Hi all,

I have a brand new dell latitude E6510 and naturally want to get Ubuntu on here. I try to boot up off the CD, but, after an initial purple screen, it just goes black and nothing happens (except a lot of whirring and such, but that quiets down after about a minute).

The machine has an nVidea nvs 3100M, which is the heart of the problem, I think (based on web searches). All the help articles I have found assume that you have gotten further than a blank screen when booting off the CD. Any ideas?

Thanks a million.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: dell latitude E6510 -- won't boot off CD

Did you run a disk check for errors? And what speed did you burn the ISO image @ typically burning ISO images you should burn them at lowest speed possible sounds like a disk error to me. Try reburning the image to a new disk at low speed. Also where did you download the image from.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

http://www.youtube.com/user/LinuxFor...s?feature=mhum
    This may also help two videos one on burning CD's other on making bootable USB

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the suggestions, but the CD is bootable. I can boot my mac mini from it, so the CD is fine. Anything else I should try?

Again, many thank for any ideas.

Beans

I was trying this exact same thing and on my exact same laptop with the same graphic card. I got it new a couple days ago and was having some youtube related trouble with the Nvidia 3100m.

So I thought I would boot up in the Ubuntu live cd and see what's going on. I ended up with exactly the same results as the OP.

Tried this multiple times, with multiple versions (10.04 and 9.04) to no avail. Both CDs have been tested and used multiple times in the past to successfully install ubuntu on various machines.

Could someone with any solutions look into this please?! Thanks a lot!
    Slackware64 13.

Beans

Hi There,
    I received my new E6510 yesterday and experienced the same issue which was solved buy pressing F6 in the Ubuntu 10.04 amd64 Installation/Try menu and select modeset and noacpi. It booted-off perfectly.
    Cheers
    C.

Beans

Hi Costantino,

Do you have the NVIDIA NVS 3100M running on 10.04?

Thanks,
    Marcelo

Beans

I have a brand new Dell Latitude E6510 and I am having the exact same problem - nothing but a blank screen of frustration.

There is nothing wrong with the CD I created.

If anyone knows a fix please reply. I need to have Ubuntu on this laptop for my work.

Beans
    Distro

10.04 now working almost perfectly! Basically all I needed to do was press shift-F6 just as it's starting off the CD (of maybe it just F6). This brings up the installer menu, and I followed costantino.amato's instructions to select modeset and noacpi immediately after selecting language. After that, installation was normal, however it wouldn't boot until I followed HardLuck's instructions here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1509957

Now everything is working smoothly. I haven't upgraded yet to 10.10, so I have yet to see about that.

Thanks everyone!

Beans

I have the same problem but with the intel i915 integrated graphics card with Ubuntu 10.10. It is reported as
    "Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)"

I assume it is a i915 chipset because I get the following error message during boot:
    "intel ips 0000:00:1f.6: failed to get i915 symbols, graphics turbo disabled"

I tried several boot options without success. Using
    nomodeset -> I can login in text mode, no X
    i915.modeset=0 xforcevesa -> I get text on CTRL-ALT-F7 but no graphics and can switch to terminals using CTRL-ALT-F1 to F6 (I cannot do this if I boot normally)

It appears to be a known bug:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/600453

For the moment I give up the fight and will wait until the bug is fixed through an update or a straightforward step-by-step how-to is posted.

Strangely enough, I could perform the install grapically by pressing F6 and using the "nomodeset" option provided by the installer. I do not understand why the installer can do its thing graphically but I cannot boot graphically even with the "nomodeset" option -- why is the working graphics configuration DURING installation not used AFTER installation?

With Ubuntu 10.04.01 I could install graphically without problems, first boot without problems but after installing updates every thing I did yielded a black screen (including recovery-mode or using "text" as boot option -- including the previous kernel). With 10.10 I can at least log in in text mode.

I have been away from Linux for 6 years (worked on Mac which I used as a Linux more or less) and it seems that the core problems are still the same: you need to be a hacker to get your hardware working *sigh* I was hoping that Linux passed that phase...

I would appreciate if someone would be so kind to post a link to a non-hacker-solution here if one appears somewhere. Until then I'll stick with Windows 7 :-/
    Last edited by dvandyck; October 11th, 2010 at 02:41 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast