Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Light Linux Distributions - Hardware Testing (RAM)

Beans

Re: Light Linux Distributions - Hardware Testing (RAM)

The results for Ylmf OS 3.0 were added in the original posting (#1).

Beans

Minor note- debian LXDE is not using 109.73MB. Well, actually according to the new MB/MiB ratings it is, but you've listed MiB in the other cases I looked at.

I dont know how you got it to 109732k RAM use anyway, last I tried Debian 5.0 LXDE it was lower than that (like 70-80MB IIRC). I wasnt using it in a virtual machine though....

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

If you have the time, it could be interesting to see how Kolibri OS behaves.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

@cascade9
    Really? Thanks for letting me know. I will look into this further when I have a free moment. I do not modify or run any applications. As soon as the installation finishes, I restart the OS a few times and then view the usage.

What did you do specifically? Can you provide screenshots with the RAM usage in clear view? Thanks!

@mörgæs
    I checked the website (http://kolibrios.org) and it looks very interesting! I will definitely be looking into this further when I have a free moment.

Also, I wanted to thank you mörgæs for getting the thread reopened. Much appreciated! =)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

You are welcome. We should thank you for taking the time for doing all these tests...

There does not seem to be much development going on in Kolibri, so there are probably a lot of unfixed bugs, but nevertheless: It is interesting to see how little memory is needed.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lbrty View Post
    @cascade9
    Really? Thanks for letting me know. I will look into this further when I have a free moment. I do not modify or run any applications. As soon as the installation finishes, I restart the OS a few times and then view the usage.

What did you do specifically? Can you provide screenshots with the RAM usage in clear view? Thanks!
    I'll make is easier, but more complicated, see MiB/MB, etc-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mebibyte

Bascily, HDD manufacturers decided that they would call a MB 1 000 000bytes, not 1 048 576bytes (etc). Then when somebody took them to court for misleading labeling, they used 'kilo = 1000, therefore kilobyte = 1000 bytes' as a defense. Then they brought SI (Système international d'unités) into the arguement, and so we ended up with KiB/kb, MiB/MB, etc. (bloody stupid if you ask me, computers are binary, base-10 units should not be used IMO).

So you will get some OSes using MB, when technically they should be using MiB. AFAIK all RAM readings are normally in MiB, no matter if it says MiB or MB.

As for the Debian LXDE- I think I've got the install disc around her somewhere. I should really do a reinstall on that machine that I did it with last time, so I'll give it a reinstall if I've got time and take a screenshot or 2. Which shouldnt be hard, it was a pretty fast install IIRC.

BTW, I could be wrong, maybe it was higher than 70-80MB (technically MiB). I just recall that it was lower than Xfce, but not enough lower for me to bother with, and I was at 90-100MB with Xfce.

*edit- I just found the disc, I think. Debian XFCE/LXDE 5.0.4. I cant image that minor upgrades would make much difference, but I'll try to check (install, check RAM usage, update, reboot, check RAM usage again)
    Last edited by cascade9; February 23rd, 2011 at 11:55 AM.

Beans

The results for Kolibri 0.7.7.0 were added in the original posting (#1).

@mörgæs
    Good find! See the results/screenshot in the original posting.

@cascade9
    Very interesting information to research. Thanks for the short history. I will look into this further.

That would be great when you have a chance! It will be interesting to see the final results. Thanks for the time and effort.

Beans

Just a minor update- the old junk box I was was using still works. I laughed hard when I saw 'filesystem has not been mounted in 246 days, running check' on bootup.

Not bad for a compaq desktop from 2000 or so I found by the side of the road about a year and a half ago, then moved to my 'junkers' pile when I got a better media box.

BTW, its currently got an (obsolete) version of sidux xfce 32bit on it. No stripping/lightening, I've actually added VLC with all the libs that includes. 66/67MB RAM useage idle on booting. I can probably get a screenshot of that before I reinstall debian 5.0.4 lxde. Then I'll probably put debian 6.0 Xfce or aptosid xfce depending onto it how they go.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I liked the part where Lubuntu dominated in terms of features for performance.

Beans

This is a great thread, THANK YOU very much for this quality stuff.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast