Thread: A Good Email Server

Beans

A Good Email Server

Hello All,

I am just looking for everyone's input on what a good email server package would be. I've looked at several, Courier, DBmail, Cyrius, and so on.

But I am looking for something that supports encryption, either GPG or other means.
    And most importantly, something that will send email encrypted, (think stegnography).

I just want to set up a secure email server, and if a man-in-the-middle attack captured an email in transit, it would be encrypted.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: A Good Email Server

GPG encryption has nothing to do with the mail server. You need to do that in your client.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans

Ahh, thanks for that bit of info.

But is there anything available i can download from a repository for my email server needs?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Any MTA should do what you want to but some are easier to configure than others. My preference would be either Postfix or Exim.

If you want to secure the connection between the MUA (client) and MTA (server) then configure it to accept SMTPS/TLS connections, this will secure the transfer between the two.

To be able to then transfer the email from your MTA to the destinations MX server securely depends on the server they use. I think by default if Postfix detects that the remote MTA supports TLS it will issue the STARTTLS command and transfer the email securely over a TLS connection, but this all depends on the ability of the far end to accept a TLS connection.

If all you wanted to do was encrypt email in transit then the above would solve your problem.

To then be able to receive email you then need to run an email server such as Dovecot. You can then use POPS or IMAPS to retrieve the email securely.
    Mark your thread as [SOLVED], use Thread Tools on forum page.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

The Ubuntu Server Guide has a section about email stuff:

https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/server...-services.html
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Hidden!

Moved to "Server Platforms"

I'd go with the Postfix or Exim suggestions.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog