Thread: VMware cannot find linux headers in a system with a just-compiled kernel

Hybrid View

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

VMware cannot find linux headers in a system with a just-compiled kernel

I've installed VMware 7.0.0 in Ubuntu 10.04. Then I've upgraded Ubuntu to 10.10 (the beta release) and I could not compile the vmware modules any more since it complains it cannot find the linux headers.

My first attempt was to check I have the headers installed and just in case to make a symlink from the correct headers to /usr/src/linux. It doesn't work. So, I just uninstalled VMware and installed it again. Same result. Then I installed the ubuntu package with the sources and compiled the kernel by myself, again I pointed /usr/src/linux to the correct sources. Same result, VMware still complains about not finding the headers. I reinstalled VMware again with no luck.

What could be the problem? I am using kernel sources 2.6.35 (ubuntu version) and VMware version 7.0.0.

Cheers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: VMware cannot find linux headers in a system with a just-compiled kernel

I think VMware is not keeping up with the way the kernel is changing. If you go here you might be able to fix your issue:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=815476
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,32G RAM | Dell Laptop 13.3".
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win10 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thanks for you answer. However it didn't work. I guess it could be because the patch is for vmware 7.1.1 and I have vmware 7.0.0. However, it didn't complain about not being able to apply the patch. But at the end I got the same error:

janus@katu /tmp $ sudo vmware-modconfig --console --install-all
    gcc and kernel headers must be installed

and if I just run vmware I get a window saying that it cannot find the kernel headers and asking me to point it out (which is useless).

Beans
    Distro

You do have the normal utilities, like gcc, installed?
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,32G RAM | Dell Laptop 13.3".
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win10 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by fjgaude View Post
    You do have the normal utilities, like gcc, installed?
    Yes, I do. I guess the problem shouldn't be in that direction, since I just compiled the kernel (i.e. all the tools to compile the modules are there), however, keep shooting, probably there is something I've forgot.

Beans
    Distro

I tell you, things have been changing so fast these days... The latest updates to Ubuntu x64, 10.04 has caused the latest update to VMware Player 3.1.2 to not work, and even 3.1.1 doesn't any longer work... we have wait and see what comes out of VMware or what patch may come from this forum... sorry!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by fjgaude View Post
    I think VMware is not keeping up with the way the kernel is changing. If you go here you might be able to fix your issue:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=815476
    I am facing the same problem after upgrading to ubuntu 10.10 ... I have done all the steps mentioned in the above link but no hope ... I am getting the same error ... any help??

Beans

Just spent the last three hours with this issue but the good news, I've solved it (for me, at least). Here's what I did:

1. sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r` --reinstall
    2. ln -s /usr/src/linux-headers-`uname -r`/include/generated/autoconf.h /usr/src/linux-headers-`uname -r`/include/linux/autoconf.h
    3. ln -s /usr/src/linux-headers-`uname -r`/include/generated/utsrelease.h /usr/src/linux-headers-`uname -r`/include/linux/utsrelease.h
    4. Try running the vmware-tools install script again

I know this isn't presented elegantly but I am so tired; just wanted to get this on here for all those struggling.

Beans

The root of the problem:
    When you compile the kernel, ensure that the version in the Makefile is the same as that reported by uname -a.

The moral of the story is that if you are using VMware, don't upgrade your kernel.

Beans

Talking Re: VMware cannot find linux headers in a system with a just-compiled kernel

Hi everyone, i got the same problem as many of you installing my vmware workstation 7.0.0 build-203739 on ubuntu 10.10 with a kernel 2.6.35-25-generic

I am just a starter on ubuntu, so don't expect a reply from you if you have any concern what i am about to post. I just want to help, like others did for me.

The following steps worked for me.

1- I patched my kernel according to a website, sorry i lost the link, but this is what i did

cd /tmp
    wget http://www.sputnick-area.net/scripts...el-2.6.35.bash
    sudo chmod +x vmware7.1.1-patch-kernel-2.6.35.bash
    sudo ./vmware7.1.1-patch-kernel-2.6.35.bash

The script will say...

sudo vmware-modconfig --console --install-all

Then...

start the VMWare workstation as usual from...
    Applications > System Tools > VMWare Workstation

For me it didn't work after that, for others it might. I got problem with gcc and linux header but everything was already installed.

2- After i followed what Blacksunseven said above
    a- ln -s /usr/src/linux-headers-`uname -r`/include/generated/autoconf.h /usr/src/linux-headers-`uname -r`/include/linux/autoconf.h
    b- ln -s /usr/src/linux-headers-`uname -r`/include/generated/utsrelease.h /usr/src/linux-headers-`uname -r`/include/linux/utsrelease.h

I compiled again vmware modules
    sudo vmware-modconfig --console --install-all

I got problem with vmnet

3- I used the following link to solve my vmnet problem
    http://bovitron.com/blogostu/2010/06...33-4/#comments

i compiled again vmware modules, no errors and start vmware, worked with success .
    I just hope, this will help some of you