Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VMware cannot find linux headers in a system with a just-compiled kernel

Beans

Re: VMware cannot find linux headers in a system with a just-compiled kernel

The root of the problem:
    When you compile the kernel, ensure that the version in the Makefile is the same as that reported by uname -a.

The moral of the story is that if you are using VMware, don't upgrade your kernel.

Beans

Talking Re: VMware cannot find linux headers in a system with a just-compiled kernel

Hi everyone, i got the same problem as many of you installing my vmware workstation 7.0.0 build-203739 on ubuntu 10.10 with a kernel 2.6.35-25-generic

I am just a starter on ubuntu, so don't expect a reply from you if you have any concern what i am about to post. I just want to help, like others did for me.

The following steps worked for me.

1- I patched my kernel according to a website, sorry i lost the link, but this is what i did

cd /tmp
    wget http://www.sputnick-area.net/scripts...el-2.6.35.bash
    sudo chmod +x vmware7.1.1-patch-kernel-2.6.35.bash
    sudo ./vmware7.1.1-patch-kernel-2.6.35.bash

The script will say...

sudo vmware-modconfig --console --install-all

Then...

start the VMWare workstation as usual from...
    Applications > System Tools > VMWare Workstation

For me it didn't work after that, for others it might. I got problem with gcc and linux header but everything was already installed.

2- After i followed what Blacksunseven said above
    a- ln -s /usr/src/linux-headers-`uname -r`/include/generated/autoconf.h /usr/src/linux-headers-`uname -r`/include/linux/autoconf.h
    b- ln -s /usr/src/linux-headers-`uname -r`/include/generated/utsrelease.h /usr/src/linux-headers-`uname -r`/include/linux/utsrelease.h

I compiled again vmware modules
    sudo vmware-modconfig --console --install-all

I got problem with vmnet

3- I used the following link to solve my vmnet problem
    http://bovitron.com/blogostu/2010/06...33-4/#comments

i compiled again vmware modules, no errors and start vmware, worked with success .
    I just hope, this will help some of you

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12