Thread: "Shut Down" not working properly...

Beans

"Shut Down" not working properly...

I don't see this bug mentioned anywhere - if you try to restart or shut-down the computer, you just drop down to the log-in prompt. If you then try clicking on the "Shut-down" option from the log-in screen, you have the same effect, you cannot shut-down/restart - you must physically switch off the computer. This is intermittent but happens often enough to be damn annoying!

The problem was introduced several kernel upgrades ago - everything worked fine till then - and seems to have been either missed completely or given a low priority.

In a similar vein, Fedora kernel upgrades 'broke' the "Suspend" option for several version changes. Thankfully the latest round of fixes has cured the problem...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: "Shut Down" not working properly...

I am responsible for a bunch of PCs running 10.04 LTS, most are 64 bit and two are 32 bit.

I don't see this behaviour for restart or shutdown of any of them so I propose that something else broke your shutdown/restart functionality.

Does the machine shutdown properly if
    Code:
    sudo 'shutdown -h now'
    is executed?
    NEED HELP? | [SOLVED] | MS hide
    A little nonsense now and then...
    If this is a game thread and you are going to post I hope you have read the Original Post.

Beans

Hi. The problem with this is that it's intermittent - just tried shutting down the pc and it worked perfectly! I will try what you suggest next time it happens though.

What I can say is that it's not computer-specific either - it happened on both a mini-pc and my Dell laptop (before switching the Dell to Fedora 'cos of a known Intel wireless memory-leak that seems to have been only half-fixed). Having been running Ubuntu exclusively since version 8.04 I can also say that I never saw the problem before 10.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by omelette View Post
    Hi. The problem with this is that it's intermittent - just tried shutting down the pc and it worked perfectly! I will try what you suggest next time it happens though.

What I can say is that it's not computer-specific either - it happened on both a mini-pc and my Dell laptop (before switching the Dell to Fedora 'cos of a known Intel wireless memory-leak that seems to have been only half-fixed). Having been running Ubuntu exclusively since version 8.04 I can also say that I never saw the problem before 10.04.
    I had very infrequent shutdown problems in 9.04 and haven't seen same since 9.10 except on rare odd occasion that I know what blocked the shutdown. I am responsible to my employer for several PCs running Ubuntu 10.04, 3 of my own installations and a few more installations amongst my friends and family.
    NEED HELP? | [SOLVED] | MS hide
    A little nonsense now and then...
    If this is a game thread and you are going to post I hope you have read the Original Post.