Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: I upgraded, and now I have this error...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: I upgraded, and now I have this error...

Quote Originally Posted by Legend28469 View Post
    I upgraded, from 10.04 to 10.10... I installed the new grub I dual boot 7 and Ubuntu...

so.. When I goto boot into Ubuntu (which was successfully installed).. it is terribly dark.. and cranking up the brightness/contrast does nothing..

I can login.. (if u look closely enough.. but.. from then I can't do anything (possibly due to the fact that I can BARELY see anything)..

any ideas?
    Have you tried changing the settings on your GPU driver? I have and nvidia card and had similar problems with an old screen. Fiddling with the GPU settings did the trick for me.

On a separate matter...

if I follow step 8, it would obviously not re-install my old programs. That's fair enough. However, what if I had a paid-for program, such as Fluendo, downloaded from the software centre, what would be the deal there? do i need to buy it again?

I wish that upgrading was as smooth as just pressing the upgrade button. Unfortunately, I've had problems every time I upgrade to the next ubuntu version. A fresh install always seems to be the answer. My laptop is a Mac, and upgrading on this is very simple: I put the CD into the drive and the upgrade pretty much takes care of itself. And everything works, even after Leopard (32 bit) update to Snow Leopard (64 bit)!
    Last edited by jackdale; October 12th, 2010 at 12:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
    If I follow step 8, it would obviously not re-install my old programs. That's fair enough. However, what if I had a paid-for program, such as Fluendo, downloaded from the software centre, what would be the deal there? do i need to buy it again?
    I don't know since I have never bought a program, but I expect that one gets a registration key when buying, which will activate the program again after a reinstall.

I wish that upgrading was as smooth as just pressing the upgrade button. Unfortunately, I've had problems every time I upgrade to the next ubuntu version. A fresh install always seems to be the answer.
    It is also my experience. If people want to explore the hidden corners of Ubuntu, it is a good (though sometimes long) exercise to troubleshoot an upgrade, but in the fora we tend to forget that not all users are keen on this challenge. If we don't help the user who just wants to get a system running without any tweaking (like the vast majority of Windows and Mac users), Ubuntu will never be big.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans

@mörgæs

I've had the issue with wubi installed in a secondary partition, after upgrading from 10.04 to 10.10 i couldn't boot the ubuntu and it just restarted..

following a reply in the forums ( can't get back to the url ) i copied wubildr* files to the D partition and that solved the problem.

Please put it as a quick fix in your main post as there are many people having the same problem and cannot fix it.

Beans

I did the stupid thing and upgraded a wubi install from 10.04 ->10.10 and after following the instructions was able to boot into my fresh new 10.10 install.

HOWEVER... this morning I dutifully ran the kernel security updates.. on my new 10.10 install .. and got the same problem. fortunatly I had the instructions printed out and was able to again boot into ubuntu.

Thinking to permanently fix the problem I went looking into the forums and wubi install guide to figure out how to make the wubi install a real partition install and it does not appear there is ANY way to do this (or any other kind of update/upgrade) with a wubi 10.04 virtual system.

Am I missing something? Or will I have to bite the bullit and do a fresh 10.10 install on a new partiton? I would rather not, but sometimes I guess there is no other way.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by JackAcid View Post
    I did the stupid thing and upgraded a wubi install from 10.04 ->10.10 and after following the instructions was able to boot into my fresh new 10.10 install.

HOWEVER... this morning I dutifully ran the kernel security updates.. on my new 10.10 install .. and got the same problem. fortunatly I had the instructions printed out and was able to again boot into ubuntu.

Thinking to permanently fix the problem I went looking into the forums and wubi install guide to figure out how to make the wubi install a real partition install and it does not appear there is ANY way to do this (or any other kind of update/upgrade) with a wubi 10.04 virtual system.

Am I missing something? Or will I have to bite the bullit and do a fresh 10.10 install on a new partiton? I would rather not, but sometimes I guess there is no other way.
    Howto migrate wubi install to partition: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1519354 (caveat, I haven't yet tested this on Maverick - only on a very early alpha maverick version).

Beans

Have you tried changing the settings on your GPU driver? I have and nvidia card and had similar problems with an old screen. Fiddling with the GPU settings did the trick for me.

On a separate matter...

if I follow step 8, it would obviously not re-install my old programs. That's fair enough. However, what if I had a paid-for program, such as Fluendo, downloaded from the software centre, what would be the deal there? do i need to buy it again?

I wish that upgrading was as smooth as just pressing the upgrade button. Unfortunately, I've had problems every time I upgrade to the next ubuntu version. A fresh install always seems to be the answer. My laptop is a Mac, and upgrading on this is very simple: I put the CD into the drive and the upgrade pretty much takes care of itself. And everything works, even after Leopard (32 bit) update to Snow Leopard (64 bit)!
    Actually the problem seems to be with the new kernel, because I went back one kernel and I am able to use Ubuntu 10.10 on it, but on the new kernel the problems start occurring again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Upgraded from wubi installed 10.04 to 10.10 and after upgrading from 10.04 to 10.10 i couldn't boot the ubuntu and it just restarted..
    I tried BCBC option to boot from CD and run gksu gedit the grub.cfg but there wasn't one at all in the grub folder.
    The sudo mkdir /win and replacement with mounting virtual disk did not work for me at all... Sorry if I sound confusing but am a pretty noob in this field.
    I can boot Windows 7 by the way... thnk G....
    The wubi ldr swap from one partition to other does not work for me either because it already is on same partition.
    Hope this helps anyone, and getting it resolved a.s.a.p.
    I'm sure more noobs are tearing their hair out at this moment...
    Thanks for any help.

Update: I finaly was able to edit my grub.cfg... restarted but problem stays. I can start Windows 7 in first grub, when I sellect Ubuntu; it will give me very fast two errors [can't read so fast] then black screen and back to start up and again first grub screen.
    I was up to date with the latest 10.04 updates.
    I see the root.disk in Windows [some 29Gb] and though I have enough space on seperate ext. HD it says it can't make a copy due to space... so I can't reinstall without loosing important data.

HELP......
    Last edited by crienoloog; October 13th, 2010 at 01:57 PM.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: I upgraded, and now I have this error...

Umm... well.. I don't know if this helps anyone.. but.. I tried playing around yesterday.. and I figured that plugging my monitor into my laptop (while booting).. actually brings the screen up on both my monitor and my laptop.. and then if i unplug the monitor at the login screen.. my laptop works like normal... ... ... if I try to boot without monitor plugged in and just use the laptop screen.. my problem reoccurs... ... ... ... ...

Weird eh?

Beans

Upgraded from 10.04, rebooted.. and now VMware Workstation 7 doesn't work. Having error: Unable to build kernel module.

TIA for help.

md10

SOLVED by installing the patch command
    Last edited by md10; October 13th, 2010 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Solved a problem

Beans

Re: 1 - Does the machine like the version of Ubuntu to which you are upgrading?

You should amend this to say that the ability to run Ubuntu from a live CD means only that an install CAN SOMEHOW EVENTUALLY be made to run properly. It might be easy but it might take a lot of work -- back up everything first. I had fatal errors with 10.04 (booting into a blank screen) and 10.10 (booting into an X failure and a command line). The CDs ran fine after the installs failed, and made my system more accessible for fixing.

If the CD runs but the install doesn't, then yes,
    4. Ask the forum
    My 10.10 problem was shared on Oct. 12 by exactly one person, who had no solution. Googling produced nothing. I figured that time would produce more people and some advice, so I waited and tinkered. The next evening, I found a solution. In the meantime, several other people had solutions of their own.

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast