Thread: CD check found error in 1 file

Beans

Question CD check found error in 1 file

The utility to check the CD for errors from the CD found an error in 1 file. This is for the Ubuntu 10.04 I just burned to CD. The checksum was OK for the ISO itself, and the burner program said the CD checked out OK.

How much difference will this one error make if I install from this CD anyway? If I don't install from this CD, what steps do I take to make sure the next CD is perfect??

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: CD check found error in 1 file

Quote Originally Posted by geercom View Post
    The utility to check the CD for errors from the CD found an error in 1 file. This is for the Ubuntu 10.04 I just burned to CD. The checksum was OK for the ISO itself, and the burner program said the CD checked out OK.

How much difference will this one error make if I install from this CD anyway? If I don't install from this CD, what steps do I take to make sure the next CD is perfect??
    Insufficient data - *which* file was the error in? If it's in a critical file (like the kernel image), it will likely result in your not being able to install from the CD. If it's in an optional package that you won't be installing anyway, then you won't even notice the problem during the install.

As for the best way to burn - I always go to the lowest speed my drive will allow for the burn to reduce the chance of an error.

Lloyd B.
    Don't tell me to get a life.
    I had one once.
    It sucked.

Beans

It didn't say which file, only there was an error found in 1 file

Quote Originally Posted by lloyd_b View Post
    Insufficient data - *which* file was the error in? If it's in a critical file (like the kernel image), it will likely result in your not being able to install from the CD. If it's in an optional package that you won't be installing anyway, then you won't even notice the problem during the install.

As for the best way to burn - I always go to the lowest speed my drive will allow for the burn to reduce the chance of an error.

Lloyd B.

pricetech is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans

Put your coffee cup on top of it and burn again. Use the lowest speed as suggested above.

Beans

Question Re: CD check found error in 1 file

Quote Originally Posted by pricetech View Post
    Put your coffee cup on top of it and burn again. Use the lowest speed as suggested above.
    The coffee cup part is a joke, right?

pricetech is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by geercom View Post
    The coffee cup part is a joke, right?
    Yes. In other words, it's a coaster.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

If you needed a third opinion, burning at about 4x speed will make a big difference.
    It's not a waste of cd's if one gets messed up. It's good to have two, if only for the live environment they provide.
    AMD A4-3400 w/ Radeon HD 6410D, 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333Mhz, Kubuntu 14.04, SliTaz 4.0, Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04 VM
    " ... Love your neighbor as you love yourself."