Thread: Games freeze when I Minimze or select other program

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Games freeze when I Minimze or select other program

I have steam running through wine, and i can play empire:total war with out and issue, but if I want to change a song, open a web browser, type in a chat, or anything that would deselect Empire it freezes. If I have empire in windowed mode I can move freely between programs. My system stays fine when empire freezes, have to end the empire process and reopen it. Not sure if the issue is with wine, my computer, or steam. I wasn't able to find a forum with this issue already, if i could get some help or a link to another post that would be GREAT!

Ben
    Last edited by Juice0123; September 22nd, 2010 at 06:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Games freeze when I Minimze or select other program

Problem: Works fine in windowed mode, freezes in full screen.

Solution: Run in windowed mode.

Seriously, it's a Windows program running under Linux. You have a solution, use it. Doing full screen via wine can be done, but then trying to swap in and out and expect it to perform like the OS it was originally written for is just asking a bit too much.

The only thing that you could try and cross your fingers that it'll work (which it won't 99.9999% of the time - this is Steam we're talking about here, they have some of the greatest games written on one of the worst software platforms for launching ever invented) is to make sure you have your visual effects turned off, as that "might" cause the issue.

System - Preferences - Appearance

Visual Effects

Click the box next to None.

Try and see what happens. Most likely, it will still do it. At which point you can do the same thing the rest of us who play Steam games do - "Well hell, it works in Windowed mode, I'll just use that and be happy I can play it at all in Linux."

Cheers,
    Ghost|BTFH
    I am not here for your hearts and your minds - we have enough of those in stock, what we really need right now are feet and elbows...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks Ghost|BTFH

Someday I'm gonna be a super leet programmer and make it work perfect. Till then, windowed mode it is.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Juice0123 View Post
    Thanks Ghost|BTFH

Someday I'm gonna be a super leet programmer and make it work perfect. Till then, windowed mode it is.
    When you become one, you won't have to make it work perfect - you'll be writing even better games with native Linux support and we will all luv you for converting the entire world to Linux.

Cheers,
    Ghost|BTFH
    I am not here for your hearts and your minds - we have enough of those in stock, what we really need right now are feet and elbows...