Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Server Remote Viewer

Beans

Server Remote Viewer Help

okie dokie so... Ive been given the chance to control the server for my highschool. I know (for the most part) what im doing but ive been asked to put a remote desktop viewer on it so we can view anyone on the server(something like dameware mini remote). ive never done this before so id like some help. The machine is running ubuntu 10.04 and has connected thin clients for student access. If you need more info just ask and ill provide. Thanks
    Last edited by De Los Santos; September 23rd, 2010 at 09:12 PM. Reason: No idea

Beans

Re: Server Remote Viewer Help

Is the server running X? You want to spy on the thin clients?

Beans

Re: Server Remote Viewer

Lol no idea about x, im completly new to this system setup. I know ubuntu well but not so much the server side of things. And yes i need to be able to "spy" on the thin clients.
    Last edited by De Los Santos; September 24th, 2010 at 02:08 AM.

Beans

but what about just checking the logs, or you just want to be able to watch them move the mouse around and type?
    First they ignore you.Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you.Then you win.Gandhi
    Linux para las masas
    Resistance Is Futile. You Will Be Assimilated!

Beans

Yea, I'm not sure it's possible to spy on the thin clients live... plus it would probably slow down the server&client fairly drastically... depending on your setup, network, etc.

Beans

I can check the logs but other less computer literate people (teachers) cant. They also just want to be able to watch over students.

Beans

got it, and I second what arrgh says, you are going to give the server some overhead, it depends how good it is.

Why not just block access to all those sites/programs/functions you dont want students using?

They are using thin clients so is a bit easier

Dansguardian is a good option for blocking/managing what they can or can't see
    First they ignore you.Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you.Then you win.Gandhi
    Linux para las masas
    Resistance Is Futile. You Will Be Assimilated!

Beans

Hrm... I have to say, I know of many ways you could watch over the students real-time (like VNC) but most things like that are not meant for that purpose - so it'll take quite a bit of leg work to setup on your end, and it would probably be very unweildy to manage.

Basically what I'm saying is I'm not aware of any built-in way to monitor what the clients screens are showing...

Plus, it seems like a very archane way to monitor what the students are doing - I agree that a proxy that filters out bad content would be much more useful than something that allows direct spying

Beans

Use webmin and SSH. VNC is primarily a Windows thing and doesn't work so great with Linux.

Beans

I go to a technical school so we have everything from medical and vehicle tech classes, to I.T. A+ and ccna classes. There are a bunch of smart kids (including me) that know ways around proxies and blockers of all sorts because we already have them in place. That being said. there is remote desktop on the server and i created an account for the thin clients. I logged onto a thin client and enabled remote desktop. I then in turn was able to view it from the server. only thing is that i would have to go onto every account and change the setting in it... that would take forever. can i change them all at once?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast