Thread: Dell C840 WPA

Beans

Dell C840 WPA

Hello,

Cannot connect to my wireless through my card.

So forgive me for developing a thread for which there are already hundreds. I recently decided to bring my old Dell Latitude C840 laptop back to life with Ubuntu 10.04. I am a total linux beginner but it seemed like a fun exercise. Everything seems to work fine and the system runs great on the computer. I haven't explored too much but I can only connect to the internet directly through an Ethernet connection. The wireless card (Dell truemobile 1150) will find and display available networks but I cannot connect. It simply re-prompts for the password request.

I would appreciate anyone's help in a good thread that I can use to fix this problem (baring in mind that it should be reasonably followable). All the threads I come across either dont work, skip some step that seems obvious to the writer or assume I know something that I haven't yet discovered.

Thank you.

Taylor

Beans

Re: Dell C840 WPA

I have a similar problem with my new System76 laptop. At first, wireless worked fine, I could get to the internet, see other computers and the printer on my home network, but all at once, it stopped connecting automatically, and when I went through the manual setup, it claimed to be connected, but could not see the internet or the home network.

The Ubuntu version is 10.04, the CPU a 4-core AMD.

Can someone tell me how to re-install? The laptop came without an installed system, but with a setup program that once I chose time zone and language, then proceeded to install 10.04. How can I trigger a re-install??

jaa75

Beans

here is some info as I attempt to figure out what is going on:

taylor@taylor-laptop:~$ iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

eth1 IEEE 802.11b ESSID:"g\xC6isQ\xFFJ\xEC)\xCD\xBA\xAB\xF2\xFB\xE3F |\xC2T\xF8\x1B\xE8\xE7\x8DvZ.c3\x9F\xC9\x9A"
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.457 GHz Access Point: None
    Bit Rate:11 Mb/s Sensitivity:1/0
    Retry limit:8 RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    Power Managementff
    Link Quality=19/70 Signal level=-83 dBm Noise level=-122 dBm
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:7
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

taylor@taylor-laptop:~$ sudo lshw -C network
    *-network
    description: Ethernet interface
    product: 3c905C-TX/TX-M [Tornado]
    vendor: 3Com Corporation
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
    logical name: eth0
    version: 78
    serial: 00:08:74:e4:dd:eb
    size: 100MB/s
    capacity: 100MB/s
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list rom ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
    configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=3c59x duplex=full ip=192.168.2.2 latency=32 link=yes maxlatency=10 mingnt=10 multicast=yes port=MII speed=100MB/s
    resources: irq:11 ioport:ec80(size=128) memory:f8fffc00-f8fffc7f memory:4c000000-4c01ffff(prefetchable)
    *-network
    description: TrueMobile 1150 Series PC Card
    product: Version 01.01
    vendor: Dell
    physical id: 0
    slot: Socket 2
    resources: irq:11
    *-network
    description: Wireless interface
    physical id: 1
    logical name: eth1
    serial: 00:02:2d:6e:6c:0b
    capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=orinoco driverversion=0.15 firmware=Lucent/Agere 9.48 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11b

taylor@taylor-laptop:~$ sudo iwlist eth1 auth
    eth1 Authentication capabilities :
    WPA
    CIPHER-TKIP
    Current Key management :
    Current TKIP countermeasures : no
    Current Authentication algorithm :
    open

so just to be clear.. I can find (see the available networks) but I am continually prompted to enter my password. and yes, I have checked it several times and my MacBook Pro directly to my left has no problem connecting.

Beans

oh common.. there has got to be someone out there that can offer something....