Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: HowTo : Samba Active Directory Integration: Script tested on win 2003r2 and 2008r2

Beans

Re: HowTo : Samba Active Directory Integration: Script tested on win 2003r2 and 2008r

Thank you very much for this Howto! Worked perfectly with Ubuntu 10.04 and Windows Server 2008 R2.

However when I log in to the Linux box via SSH, I get the following messages

Could not chdir to home directory /home/DOMAIN/ad_user: No such file or directory
    groups: cannot find name for group ID 10006
    groups: cannot find name for group ID 10008

Do you by chance know what causes the groups messages to appear? Is there a mapping between local groups and AD groups which has to be made or how is this handled?

How do you handle creation of home directories for Active Directory users? For me it seems that either they have to be manually created properly before users will be able to log in or that one has to use the pam_mkhomedir.so PAM module to automatically create local home directories “on the fly” as users log in.

Perhaps you can help me on that.

Regards

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HowTo : Samba Active Directory Integration: Script tested on win 2003r2 and 2008r

Had to do just one extra thing though,

Thankyou. I’ve added your comment in troubleshooting section

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Could not chdir to home directory /home/DOMAIN/ad_user: No such file or directory
    Here you try to login through ssh with “ad_user”, right? If you make the same login not through ssh, home directory is created?

Maybe it’s a permission problem. If when you login directly from the Linux machine (not through ssh) home directory is not created try with:
    Code:
      #chmod u+rw /home/$SUPER_USER/.ICEauthority

Where “/$SUPER_USER” is the sudoer user used to join Linux machine to the domain

Is there a mapping between local groups and AD groups which has to be made or how is this handled?
    Try with “#wbinfo –u” and “#wbinfo –g”. These command have to list all domain users and groups (from a joined Linux machine of course)

Use “#getent” for fetch user account entries from administrative database (/etc/passwd and /etc/group)

This command (where “user” it’s a domain user)

Code:
    #getent passwd user
    Makes an output like this more or less
    Code:
    #user:x:1000:1000:User,,,:/home/user:/bin/bash
    You can see:
    • login name (user)
    • x (encrypted password and stored in /etc/shadow)
    • User ID or UID : 1000
    • Group ID or GID: 1000
    • Then additional informations are listed (as phone, full name, etc..)
    • Home directory
    • Command shell absolute path

You can do the same for groups with:

Code:
    #getent group user
    Hope that this could help you. If you solved let us know.

Regards

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Perhaps I've found an answer to my error...
    I read this thread, but I can't found solutions.

I think you have already try with:

Code:
    # net ads join --disable-dns-update
    And you already create a completely new super user and\or admin user and try operation with it, right?

Cannot figure out other possible solution

Please let us know if you found a solution,
    Regards

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

This thread is closed.

The information is now held on the community wiki at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Sa...egrationScript

Thank you for your thread and the work you have done in keeping it current and of use to the community.

A thread for discussion of the wiki can be found at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2012421

Support threads regarding the wiki and it's content should be created in a suitable forum.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112