Thread: Screen goes black

Beans

Screen goes black

in ubuntu 10.04 i have compiz installed and when i try to rotate the cube or simply change desktops screen goes black but not entirely,i mean i can still see the cube..this happens only during the change of desktops.Its very annoying,it doesnt create trouble but i cant see the cube effect.Help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Screen goes black

Hi, I'm not on my ubuntu machine right now so the naming might be a bit off here, but;
    Try check your compiz settings. The cube background (Skydome) may be set to be black and the opacity settings for the cube itself may be letting you see straight through it or almost ("goes black but not entirely").
    Dell Inspiron 1501 AMD Sempron, 4GB RAM, 120GB HDD, running 14.04 64Bit
    Dell Latitude D830 Centrino duo 4GB RAM 320GB HDD, running 13.10 64Bit
    Raspberry Pi running Rasbian
    Ubuntu User #32384

Beans

i didnt have skydome but now now that i activated it only the cube goes black... here's a pic

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

the problem can come from the compiz configuration but also from the graphic card. Try reconfiguring compiz and if nothing changes try updating or reinstalling you graphic drivers. but backup everything before doing this.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome.[Albert Einstein]
    http://www.tuxgeek.org
    Where there is a shell there is a way !!!

Beans

this is weird stuff...now it doesnt go so much black i can see everything its like its shaded o.O and that happens when i zoom with super key and middle mouse button

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You probably have a few too many compiz effects running for your graphics card to cope. Try switching off the 3D windows and switching off your widgets. If that works you have some choices to make!
    Dell Inspiron 1501 AMD Sempron, 4GB RAM, 120GB HDD, running 14.04 64Bit
    Dell Latitude D830 Centrino duo 4GB RAM 320GB HDD, running 13.10 64Bit
    Raspberry Pi running Rasbian
    Ubuntu User #32384

Beans

i have almost all effects off...i dont think that is the problem..in 9.10 compiz was running perfectly with many effects.I think that its an option in 10.04 to shade it like that or a bug.

Beans

Bump for justice! I have the same problem, could you solve that?

Beans

Smile Re: Screen goes black

not meaning to resurrect an old post but I found a "fix" by accident. I installed the compiz experimental plug ins (http://gnome-look.org/content/show.p...content=118511) and used the "snowing" effect. After playing around with this for a while I switched desktops and noticed it didn't go dark which was unusual for me so I enabled desktop cube and rotation and whenever the snow, fireflies, or stars effect is on, the screen does not go dark when rotating (admittedly there is a very small moment where it does but it does not stay) I set my star effect to have zero stars and now have rotation without having to see the star effect. I have no idea whatsoever why this worked but thought I would post it here to help those with my old problem, and in the hopes that someone who can find out sees this.

Beans

See this old 2007 forum post: http://forum.compiz.org/viewtopic.php?t=5444&f=116

The answer is to uncheck ccsm>display settings>lighting

Note that in openSUSE 11.4 the option is in ccsm>openGL. Probably a newer version. I had this problem on my Dell Inspiron 8500 for both Suse and Mint, but not on my desktop. This fixed it on both. Strange this is still an issue after so many years. Graphics card is ATI radeon 9000.