Thread: T-mobile Rocket 2.0 not flipping

Beans

T-mobile Rocket 2.0 not flipping

I just picked up a 3g modem from T-mobile that I cannot get to work with 10.04

Inserting the device and running lsusb gives

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 19d2:1201 ONDA Communication S.p.A.

I installed usb-modeswitch but I don't know how to configure the usb-modeswitch.conf

I know I need to provide the default vendor and product as what is given above vendor=0x19d2 and product=0x1201 but I don't know what to put for the target vendor and product. I'm sure vendor is the same 0x19d2, but the product.. I don't know what to put for the target product so the usb storage will flip to usb modem.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong about how I'm going about this.

I've researched this numerous places:

http://forums.t-mobile.com/t5/Laptop...10/td-p/377151

and

http://gutsywww.ubuntuforums.org/sho....php?t=1572572

and I can see the basic idea of how to proceed, but I think I'm stuck at flipping the device from storage to modem mode.

I've got 14 days to return this thing if I can't get it to work. I'm willing to mess around for all 14 of them if we can get this to work and help out any other ubuntu users who want to buy this device.

Beans

Re: T-mobile Rocket 2.0 not flipping

same problem... im want to do the exact same thing and i have done exactly what you have done with those guides..

i cant figure it out either

Beans

ok i got one step further.. tell me if you can work with this..

ok so at the step where you "safely remove.."

just hit "eject" and DO NOT remove the tmobile rocket 2.0 from the usb port.

then run lsusb again.. i got for the product 1203...

and when i went to modem i found the Tmobile Rocket 2.0 there.

on the other hand i could not get it to connect to the internet.... but maybe you can help from there?

Beans

Crap. Sorry I missed this post. I took back my modem to t-mobile.. They charged me for the days I "used" it but at least I won't get stuck with tech I can't use..

Ok, you're smart. After I read your post I remembered reading something about that same thing... ejecting will reveal some different data.. smart guy you!

Here's what I would try if I still had my own modem... I think you need to set up usb_modeswitch.conf with the information you derived from your little experiment. I think one of those links I posted had some info on that..

Let me know if that helps any.. I'm willing to actually do some research if this gets you anywhere.

Beans

Here. Set it up like in this post:

http://www.blogcatalog.com/blog/iwri...540aad7f9edbd6

Then use connection manager to follow through.. see if *that* works.

Beans

I got it to work after much poking at it. (I'm connected on it right now.)

For the usb_modeswitch stuff.
    /etc/usb_modeswitch.d/19d2:1201
    #begin
    DefaultVendor= 0x19d2
    DefaultProduct= 0x1201

TargetVendor= 0x19d2
    TargetProduct= 0x1203

CheckSuccess=20

MessageContent="5553424392020000000000000000061B00 0000020000000000000000000000"
    #end

In /lib/udev/rules.d/40-usb_modeswitch.rules
    add a line:
    ATTRS{idVendor}=="19d2", ATTRS{idProduct}=="1201", RUN+="usb_modeswitch '%b/%k'"

That will get the modeswitch to work.

There seems to be an issue with modem-manager vs. the rocket 2.
    It harfs when talking to it, the modem errors when given the AT+ZPAS command.

I found simply removing the /usr/lib/ModemManager/libmm-plugin-zte.so module makes it identify as a standard GSM modem and it starts working. I haven't dug too much into trying to fix the module itself.

I also started using the latest network manager from
    https://launchpad.net/~network-manager/+archive/trunk

It seems to work a bit better with the GSM modems. Signal strength and provider are shown. It still has the zte modem issue though. But the same temporary fix works.

Beans

MGOVE, you rule!

I guess I should have kept my modem for a few more days.. Anyway, at least we have this documented for everyone who comes after to help them get it to work for themselves.

As for me, I'm thinking of getting a G2 from T-mobile and tethering that so I don't have to pay 2 bills...