Thread: I'm so happy right now- KpackageKit finallly achieves usability.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I'm so happy right now- KpackageKit finallly achieves usability.

EDIT: Omit that extra L in your mind. #^^#

I'm well known by my family and friends for letting the little things in life get me really excited. And well, open source has no shortage of awesome little things coming along. Big things, too- Broadcom's drivers, round sexy tooltips in KDE 4.5, effortless file transfers, the MeMenu- and now, KpackageKit.

Turns out that a very recent update made KpackageKit has made it even more viable as an Ubuntu Software Center replacement. Of course, software sources, the update packager, and then categories had been included since 10.04. But now it turns out it has icons to indicate the application rather than a package, and you can either click install or the short blurb to get a full description, larger logo, and a screenshot.

HECK YEAH! This was the main reason I kept suggesting Ubuntu over Kubuntu for friends and family (still, I know many would do better with Gnome anyway, but now they as noobs have a CHOICE without being intimidated by the package manager!).

This is just plain awesome.

And for those of you who don't like KDE because it's too Windows-ey... you need to get over where things are placed by default and see KDE for what it is. It couldn't be further from Windows. Just let me have this moment, just this one moment of bliss. T3T This is so cool, Canonical and the dev teams actually care about KDE! *squeals like a little boy on Christmas... crap, even boys don't do that*

Beans

Re: I'm so happy right now- KpackageKit finallly achieves usability.

Its been over a half year since I ran KDE on Fedora.
    The kpackagekit crashed.... then crashed.... then crashed. Yum needed to be ran via terminal to actually manage to run a full update.
    Good to see they fixed it ^^

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Talking Re: I'm so happy right now- KpackageKit finallly achieves usability.

They finally fixed KpackageKit?

*C_W going to try it out this saturday*
    Registered Linux user,number 507113.02-01-2013: ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO 785G |Athlon 2 X4 640|4 GiB DDR|1 TiB SATA2|Radeon HD 6570(HDMI)|Realtek 7.1 HDMI audio|Gigabit Lan|Kubuntu 12.10 Quanzal AMD64

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: I'm so happy right now- KpackageKit finallly achieves usability.

Lol, I just found out Kubuntu has its own forums. Maybe I should get excited over there, hah! I hope Fedora' got it fixed, too. In fact, I hope this is KPackagekit itself improving, not just the Ubuntu version, as I strongly advocate Packagekit's use for technical reasons that could help all distributions.

I'd really like for Ubuntu to somehow work the store into packagekit or use packagekit as a backend, since that would basically make it a standard. Funny to think how big this ecosystem has become, and the informal systems that judge the software we use, even when it's all open. :3 Of course, we always have choice, and that's the point.