Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this normal? Root with no pass on recovery console.

Beans

Question Is this normal? Root with no pass on recovery console.

Hello ,

Was wondering if this is normal . I installed ubuntu-10.04-desktop-amd64.iso and when i boot into recovery console and select drop into root shell it dont ask for anny password.
    I know i can change this pass but new users (maybey) dont know this , It feel weird to me.
    What they point if this.. small security issue?

thx

** deffault install

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Is this normal? Root with no pass on recovery console.

Quote Originally Posted by Fibercoax View Post
    What they point if this.. small security issue?
    If someone is sitting at the console of your PC, they can boot from a LiveCD or USB stick and then own your system.

If you want security against local attacks by someone with access to the hardware, you need to encrypt your files. Then they could install a rootkit to grab the password next time you boot, but they can't read the files unless they do something like that.

Beans
    Distro

BTW, I'm sure there is a setting to require the root password at the recovery console, but since Ubuntu blocks root logins I'm guessing it won't work even if you enable it?

Beans

This not gonna happen because boot of external devices is locked in my bios like usb/cd/dvd !

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by movieman View Post
    If someone is sitting at the console of your PC, they can boot from a LiveCD or USB stick and then own your system.

If you want security against local attacks by someone with access to the hardware, you need to encrypt your files. Then they could install a rootkit to grab the password next time you boot, but they can't read the files unless they do something like that.

I dont think that is possbile because boot from external devices is disabled in bios like usb/dvd/cd

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It's normal.

Physical access is root access.

If you think it's not possible for someone to get root access since you disabled booting other devices in the BIOS, you'd better hope no one has a screwdriver and doesn't just remove your CMOS battery... or the internal hard drive altogether.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by movieman View Post
    BTW, I'm sure there is a setting to require the root password at the recovery console, but since Ubuntu blocks root logins I'm guessing it won't work even if you enable it?
    I didnt see it , you should install it and test your self you would be surprised.

What they need to do when installing ubuntu , FORCE TO SET ROOT PASS in the setup procedure. (look at the fedora 13 installer )
    I dont see ubuntu block root logins.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Fibercoax View Post
    I didnt see it , you should install it and test your self you would be surprised.

What they need to do when installing ubuntu , FORCE TO SET ROOT PASS in the setup procedure. (look at the fedora 13 installer )
    I dont see ubuntu block root logins.
    Ubuntu disables root password logins. You can get to a root shell by booting into recovery mode. You can also simulate a root shell by typing
    Code:
    sudo -i
    into a terminal. Unless you explicitly set a root password, though, you cannot log into the root account in the traditional sense. More importantly, there is no need to.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Is this normal? Root with no pass on recovery console.

Oke understand ,, but in other words when i leave my ubunutu desktop open on my office desk and somone boot recovery console (when i get my coffee break ) he got root in 4 seconds . The idea dont make me happy !!

Beans
    Distro

You can remove the recovery console boot option if you don't feel it's needed. An advanced user can still boot in the right mode but at least it isn't on the menu. The only real way to secure a machine from physical access is with encryption. Ubuntu does make it easy to set that up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast