Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What?? Direct X for Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: What?? Direct X for Linux?

yeah, it will be patent-encumbered to the hilt, but I'd imagine half the wine implementation is too.
    I'll give it a go

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by undecim View Post
    Cool. Maybe Regnum will work on this computer soon.
    regnum has a linux native client and opengl support...
    I had to do it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Very interesting.

So with the help of Delta3D or OGRE, would Wine even be needed? Shouldnt it be a lot easier to just port the game over to Linux?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Slug71 View Post
    So with the help of Delta3D or OGRE, would Wine even be needed? Shouldnt it be a lot easier to just port the game over to Linux?
    Well first off, this is going to happen for a long while (if at all,) and I highly doubt it will ever be perfect. Also, not everybody is going to be willing to port, especially for old games/programs.
    Are you a trumpet player?
    'On vacation for the week. In Yosemite National Park. A sign on the road said, “Speeding kills bears.” And all I can think is, “Who let them drive in the first place?"' -Stephan Pastis

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Master View Post
    Well first off, this is going to happen for a long while (if at all,) and I highly doubt it will ever be perfect. Also, not everybody is going to be willing to port, especially for old games/programs.
    While it will take a long while, I have no idea what scale we are looking at. This is primarily a proof of concept project for Gallium and I believe in theory, it should be easy to implement in comparison to what Wine has been doing. To me, "a long time" could be anywhere from 1 year to never.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

In the short term, it will be very beneficial to Wine. As it stands, most Wine users are gamers (or at least, the votes on AppDB tend to indicate this strongly). So, Adobe fans probably won't rejoice, but I'm sure it will get a lot more games playable on our side of things, making Linux more viable for hardcore gamers. Any help at all is good, and Wine still works with the majority of applications, so we've only got.. another 15 years to go? Haha.

Something tells me that, by that time, desktops won't be the standard for computing. After all, they already have an MID/tablet/laptop out that runs three different OSes, depending on its mode. Very ingenious and clever- if it's here now, who's to say this won't be the main method of computing in 10 years? The level of convenience is astounding.

However, if we can play games like HalfLife 2, from that dead Windows generation on a Linux computer with Wine, then heck- why not? Same deal with us playing the original Prince of Persia with DOSBOX today.

However, things are kind of levelling out- I think desktop Linux will still be suitable for a variety of tasks in fifteen years, as I doubt it will die quickly as mobiles become strong.

But yeah, in an ideal world, this implementation of DirectX will see the same motivation and usefulness as Mono, and we'll have people porting their games more easily to Linux by either using straight DirectX, or having a DirectX library referring to OpenGL (kind of like Wine, but backwards).

Either way, this will probably be a good thing in some capacity. Again, just like the Wine project, we'll worry about patents when they've been shown to be an issue with the owners.

Obviously, if a lot of games are ported with this technology, Microsoft will probably have something to say about it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12