Thread: WIFI file sharing with Android tablet?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Question WIFI file sharing with Android tablet?

I coach a high school debate team. I would like to take my team paperless... Within the world of debate, any evidence you read is required to be made available for your opponent. Many teams use a third laptop as a viewing laptops. They will make a computer to computer network and make a dropbox on the desktop of the 'viewing' computer.

To save money I would like to be able to use some of these cheap bargain basement netbooks/tablets that are coming out as solely a viewing computer. Most of these cheap machines are running android.

So....is it possible to network with an android to share files over wifi?

Internet is not an option as it is either banned for use in the round or not available...usually both....

Any thoughts?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: WIFI file sharing with Android tablet?

Android does not support ad-hoc networks. You'll have to root your android to do that. If you have an infrastructure network, it behaves the same as internet, so yes, files can be shared but you'll need file viewers.

A lot of office apps are really heavy and slow on android (at least on smartphones, didn't try any on a tablet). They are also limited in functions. The best files to share would be html files I guess (or plain text).

So in fact, it's like setting up your own little internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: WIFI file sharing with Android tablet?

Thanks for the reply. I figured I wouldn't be able to easily, but since I have no Android experience myself I figured I would ask.