MountainX is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Can't install Ubuntu on new iMac

Quote Originally Posted by erginlee72 View Post
    I have Same problem in my imac
    Ubuntu 10.10 or 11.04 have same problem
    Sorry to hear that. I gave up on installing Ubuntu on my iMac. The limitations in support for the wireless Apple keyboard, the Magic Mouse and the Magic Trackpad convinced me that it would not be worth it even if I could eventually get Ubuntu installed.

Instead, I just built a custom PC with the goal of making it as fast and as quiet as my iMac. I largely succeeded, but I also gained great appreciation for the engineering quality and the design elegance of an iMac. It isn't possible to duplicate that quality at the same price IMO. But since I didn't mind spending more, I ended up with a great PC running Ubuntu and I still have a stock iMac (but with an SSD now) for those times when I need it.
    Desktop: KX Studio (Kubuntu 12.04)
    Laptop & Netbook: Kubuntu 12.04
    Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
    Phone: Nexus 4 Cyanogenmod

Beans

Re: Can't install Ubuntu on new iMac

This is how I overcame the black screen error. In my case, the root cause was that Ubuntu didn't have the appropriate graphics driver installed. But this is a chicken-and-egg issue because to install the driver, I'd typically need to first login to Ubuntu to do that, but then I can't because of the black screen error. Here's what I did to make it work.

By the way, I have a 27' iMac11,1 with quad-core i5 and ATI Radeon HD 4850 graphics processor. But as long as your root cause is the same as mine you should be able to follow the steps below to make it work.

0. Plug in a working internet ethernet cable to your iMac.

1. Download and install the following Ubuntu mac release. Use something newer than 12.04 if a similar newer release is now available.
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/1...-amd64+mac.iso

2. Just install that Ubuntu as usual, following the on-screen step-by-step instructions.

3. After the installation, you will reboot the iMac. Right after the reboot, when the iMac just starts up with the sound, press and hold the alt key until you see the (wrongly labelled) Windows drive thingy. That's your newly installed Ubuntu. Click on it.

4. In the GRUB menu, choose the recovery mode.

5. You'll reach a menu with something like the following options. Choose "network". This will give you internet access.
    Options: resume, clean, dpkg, failsafeX, fsck, grub, network, root, system-summary.

6. You should automatically be brought back to the menu again. Now choose "root". This will drop to root shell prompt.
    Options: resume, clean, dpkg, failsafeX, fsck, grub, network, root, system-summary.

7. Now at the root shell, just to be sure that you have internet access, type "ping www.google.com" and observe that you're receiving bytes.

8. Run "jockey-text --list". This will show a list of drivers (both enabled and disabled). In my case, I had
    xorg:fglrx_updates - ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver (post-release updates) (Proprietary, Disabled, Not in use)
    xorg:fglrx - ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver (post-release updates) (Proprietary, Disabled, Not in use)

9. Run "jockey-text --enabled=DRIVER", where DRIVER is the driver name. This will install/enable the graphics driver. In my case, it was "jockey-text --enabled=xorg:fglrx". (Don't enable xorg:fglrx_updates without first enabling xorg:fglrx)

10. Reboot (run "shutdown -r now") and you should be able to use the usual Ubuntu with GUI.

If this works for any of you, please reply the post. Thanks!

MountainX, Don't use Apple's wireless keyboard/mouse. Just use a regular (even non-Apple) USB keyboard/mouse. They should work right off the bat.
    Last edited by slow2anger; September 23rd, 2012 at 05:05 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123