Thread: Does anyone have or know of a program to keep track of your dvds.

Beans

Does anyone have or know of a program to keep track of your dvds.

About a year ago i started using Linux. Kubuntu to be exact. (At the time i loved it because my older brother had windows 7 and the two looked alike) Well my older brother had this program that kept track of dvds and he would enter the title into this little bar and it would search an online data base for it, it would download its information like the plot and its title, it would organize it for him he would make profiles and check out movies to any person he made a profile for and it would have there phone number and basically it would log data like that it was the most amazing program i have had ever seen and i was wondering if the open source community or individuals that have on closed source for version for Linux. I am just getting into programming my self i started python but it got annoying so i started c and loving it. From my prospective i can tell this would be a very complex program so if they had it for Linux i would expect it to be over 500 megabytes if such program for Linux exists.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Does anyone have or know of a program to keep track of your dvds.

You may wish to consider GCStar if you are a GNOME user. Tellico is good with KDE. There are probably others, but those are two I have used previously.

scouser73 is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Wink Re: Does anyone have or know of a program to keep track of your dvds.

Try Griffith

Beans

does anyone know how to change the look on gcstar so that it shows the pictures of the movies instead of the title. (Also no matter how long this thread is up i encourage you to post on it.
    Last edited by darkstarbyte; September 20th, 2010 at 04:53 AM. Reason: old information does not apply anymore

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

+1 for Griffith, It even has a loaned movie section, so that if you loan movies to friends and use it, you know who's got what.
    Last edited by cariboo; September 20th, 2010 at 05:09 AM.

Beans

Will it download all of its information so i don't have to look it up.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Griffith downloads the info from IMDB by default, I use it for my collection, it hasn't had a problem with any of my dvds.

Beans

This is one of the things that I really like about Haiku:

http://www.haiku-os.org/docs/usergui...ttributes.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi there Darkstarbyte,
    try using Datacrow, from sourceforge.net. Works excellently. You can either type in the title, or the barcode, and choose from where you get info from. Lots of scope for editing, and also able to use for cd's and other collections. Being x-windslows, it's the one I prefer. There are a few out there e.g. griffith, ant-movie to name just two. Good hunting and collectiong.
    embra55

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by darkstarbyte View Post
    About a year ago i started using Linux. Kubuntu to be exact. (At the time i loved it because my older brother had windows 7 and the two looked alike) Well my older brother had this program that kept track of dvds and he would enter the title into this little bar and it would search an online data base for it, it would download its information like the plot and its title, it would organize it for him he would make profiles and check out movies to any person he made a profile for and it would have there phone number and basically it would log data like that it was the most amazing program i have had ever seen and i was wondering if the open source community or individuals that have on closed source for version for Linux. I am just getting into programming my self i started python but it got annoying so i started c and loving it. From my prospective i can tell this would be a very complex program so if they had it for Linux i would expect it to be over 500 megabytes if such program for Linux exists.
    sounds like MovieCollecter ..

I too am an avid user of this software.. have you tried running it on Wine.. ??
    May the source be with you...! 8)