Thread: [Lucid] Help with re-installation...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Question [Lucid] Help with re-installation...

Hello people who read this...
    1. I accidentally wrecked a previous Ubuntu installation so I decided to re-install via the Ubuntu disk.
    Unfortunately Ubuntu doesn't let me override previous Ubuntu installations...
    2. Ubuntu Maverick Meerkat is due to released in about 3 weeks. I want to install it via a clean install.
    3. So can anyone tell me how to remove both Ubuntu partitions safely. I am currently running WinVista with Ubuntu Lucid Lynx.
    I know I have to use something like this to erase GRUB2. Can anyone give me a good tutorial?
    Last edited by ProcuratorIncendia; September 19th, 2010 at 11:19 AM.
    “The spread of civilisation may be likened to a fire; First, a feeble spark, next a flickering flame, then a mighty blaze, ever increasing in speed and power.”~ Nikola Tesla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: [Lucid] Help with re-installation...

Quote Originally Posted by ProcuratorIncendia View Post
    Hello people who read this...
    1. I accidentally wrecked a previous Ubuntu installation so I decided to re-install via the Ubuntu disk.
    Unfortunately Ubuntu doesn't let me override previous Ubuntu installations...
    2. Ubuntu Maverick Meerkat is due to released in about 3 weeks. I want to install it via a clean install.
    3. So can anyone tell me how to remove both Ubuntu partitions safely. I am currently running WinVista with Ubuntu Lucid Lynx.
    I know I have to use something like this to erase GRUB2. Can anyone give me a good tutorial?
    There is a program on the live Ubuntu cd called gparted, this is what you would use to remove and make partitions. Always do these things from a live cd. In order to remove the Ubuntu give us a screenshot of gparted first.

Reloading the mbr for Vista would be best done with a Vista install disc or this recovery cd here is a link.
    http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/window...disc-download/

Here are the instructions to reload the mbr with the MS bootloader, notice the link to the W7 forums for help on booting to the command line from the cd or a vista install dvd. You would only have to run the command in bold to do this.

1) Boot with your Vista/Windows 7 installation disk. Hit <Enter> at the language selection prompt then hit <R> for Repair to get to the Repair section.
    2) Select the command prompt (console) and type in the following commands:
    BootRec.exe /fixmbr (#updates MBR master boot record...do not run if you still want grub)
    chkdsk /r
    BootRec.exe /FixBoot (#updates PBR partition boot)
    BootRec.exe /ScanOs
    BootRec.exe /RebuildBcd
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ot-record.html