Thread: search field anywhere!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

search field anywhere!

Hei, after installing lucid lynx and poking around I decided it was a keeper.

Never going back to Windows.
    By the way, this is my Hello everyone message too for this is my first post here.

To the point, yes.
    The thing is some kind of search field kept popping out anywhere, for example I opened google chrome web browser and the link bar wasn't focused but I started typing, so some kind of search bar appeared.

The same search bar, or search field kept appearing on other "surfaces" too, like the desktop: I never knew why did it appear only sometimes.

The rule of thumb was: start typing without any text field being focused and it will appear.

I thought it to be an integrated app or something of ubuntu and IT WAS THE BEST! I mean I loved it, I like a lot of ubuntu apps but that was the best.

Problem: what is it and why isn't it appearing anymore ?

I tried searching for it and stumbled upon an app called "deskbar-applet" , installed it - it behaves the same way that search field I'm talking about behaved but... it's on my panel and I have a shortcut for it etc, doesn't appear like that "integrated" search did.

please, anyone ?

Beans
    Distro

Re: search field anywhere!

anyone? please?

Beans
    Distro

up?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Is it like the search bar from Nautilus, that appears in the bottom right corner when you start typing?

Perhaps you can take a screenshot of it....

Beans
    Distro

yep, it's like that search bar ! but it did appear on the desktop too, in chrome start page too, not just nautilus.