Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Editing network manager default wired

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Editing network manager default wired

Have searched for this and am sure the answer is out there somewhere, but I can't find it....
    My wired network is configured as AUTO, and is DHCP, I can add a new static config, but can't get it to load, as the original AUTO always loads on a reboot. I need to be able to run sudo Network manager so I can reconfigure the default... How do you do that??

Thanks, John.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Editing network manager default wired

While setting static IP you should hit enter after giving gateway.otherwise the changes will not be saved
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...38&postcount=5

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

On a reboot, the original configuration (AUTO) always loads, but if I try to edit this configuration, I can't as the option to edit is greyed out, as by default I don't have permissions to edit, without SUDO (I assume). How do I SUDO in to edit this setup??
    (I'm sure it's been done before...)
    Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you do not have permissions to edit, as you say, then you are not logged on as Administrator. Go to Users and Groups. What are you listed as? Administrator? Custom? Desktop? You can change your account type Administrator. Under Advanced Settings you can give yourself lots of permissions, including Administer the System. You will need your log-on password to Authenticate yourself as the person who installed the OS or sudo in other words.

This might give you access to edit Auto Eth0 from Connect Automatically. It should then become Eth0. All with a bit of luck.

regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thanks for the reply. I usually use Suse and appreciate that you need admin access to edit stuff like this, but thought that in ubuntu there actually is "no administrator" (or root) and you need to sudo, or theoretically it should ask you if root access is required (there used to be a button to upgrade your credentials in network manager....?) Am trying to use the "Ubuntu method"...
    Thanks John

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I can't believe this is so difficult! A basic requirement of a PC on a network is that it can talk to other PCs. Surely Ubuntu isn't that "dumbed down" that everything HAS to be set automatically?
    A simple, and fairly common request, to know how to setup a static IP, and the Network Manager that Ubuntu relies on, can't do it?? And there are many other similar posts in this and other forums.
    OK, I'll go back to basics and set it up manually, but why should I have to? If I was talking one of many other distros that aren't quite "up there" I would expect to have to do that....
    Thanks, John.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by hornetster View Post
    On a reboot, the original configuration (AUTO) always loads, but if I try to edit this configuration, I can't as the option to edit is greyed out.
    I'm probably missing something obvious... if you click on the connection (even Auto eth0) you should be able to edit it from Network Manager. Then you should be able to uncheck the "Connect automatically" option...
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

No, as I said, when I log in if I click on AUTO in Network Manager, the option to edit this is "greyed out" so I cannot do anything with it, including disable connect automatically....
    Have now configured manually for my static IP, just disappointed that Ubuntu wouldn't/couldn't let me do this through the relevant utility....

Thanks, John.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by hornetster View Post
    just disappointed that Ubuntu wouldn't/couldn't let me do this through the relevant utility....
    It should! It does on my machine... not that it helps you. You might check /etc/network/interfaces to verify that only the two lines for "lo" are there.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Iowan View Post
    It should! It does on my machine... not that it helps you. You might check /etc/network/interfaces to verify that only the two lines for "lo" are there.
    Yep...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast