Page 41 of 60 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: How To Compile the new 2.6.16 kernel from kernel.org

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How To Compile the new 2.6.16 kernel from kernel.org

Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief1234
    Thank you for telling me about the steps, and yes, you can ignore those errors.
    Oh, you will also need to change step 14 from ck3 to ck12.

One more question related to the ubuntu fglrx driver. Do I need to uninstall anything related to the fglrx driver before upgrading the kernel, or change xorg.conf to refer to the "ati" driver?

And, when I install the fglrx-kernel-source, can I uninstall all the other fglrx packages first, or are they still needed?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by ehula
    Oh, you will also need to change step 14 from ck3 to ck12.

One more question related to the ubuntu fglrx driver. Do I need to uninstall anything related to the fglrx driver before upgrading the kernel, or change xorg.conf to refer to the "ati" driver?

And, when I install the fglrx-kernel-source, can I uninstall all the other fglrx packages first, or are they still needed?
    No, you do not need to uninstall anything. Just make sure it says fglrx in your xorg.conf. I wouldn't recommend uninstalling the other fglrx packages though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by OPaul
    I'm compiling ck3 now, but does this mean I won't have the latest version. Is ck3 a numbering scheme that is used before real numbers? For instance, on kernel.org the latest version is 2.6.16.20... doesn't say anything about ck anything.

Or is ck something that someone has modified themself?....
    ?
    I have always wished for a computer that would be as easy to use as my telephone. My wish came true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.
    --Bjarne Stroustrup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

No, ck's refer to performance enhancing kernel patches. So yes, ck patches are modification patches that are applied to the kernel.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

No, ck's refer to performance enhancing kernel patches. So yes, ck patches are modification patches that are applied to the kernel.
    So instead of taking the 2.6.16 from the link you provided, could I take the 2.6.16.20 from kernel.org and then apply the latest ck patch to that?

Do the ck patches have a homepage that lists some of the performance changes that have been made?
    I have always wished for a computer that would be as easy to use as my telephone. My wish came true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.
    --Bjarne Stroustrup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by OPaul
    So instead of taking the 2.6.16 from the link you provided, could I take the 2.6.16.20 from kernel.org and then apply the latest ck patch to that?

Do the ck patches have a homepage that lists some of the performance changes that have been made?
    No you can only apply the patch to the first kernel of the release cycle (ex: 2.6.16, or 2.6.17) NOT 2.6.16.20. And yes, you can look at the changes in the ck1-12 folder here. Browse to a ck patch folder and look at the changes. I personally don't use the patches but for anyone learning to build a kernel, it is worth it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

No you can only apply the patch to the first kernel of the release cycle (ex: 2.6.16, or 2.6.17) NOT 2.6.16.20. And yes, you can look at the changes in the ck1-12 folder here. Browse to a ck patch folder and look at the changes. I personally don't use the patches but for anyone learning to build a kernel, it is worth it.
    Ah, ck12 includes the patches from 2.6.16.20.
    http://members.optusnet.com.au/ckolivas/kernel/

Cool, thanks.
    --Bjarne Stroustrup

Beans
    Hidden!

No, you do not need to uninstall anything. Just make sure it says fglrx in your xorg.conf. I wouldn't recommend uninstalling the other fglrx packages though.
    OK. After compiling, I have three new .debs:
    kernel-image
    kernel-headers
    fglrx-kernel

Which do I install? Do I install the fglrx-kernel? Remember, I had previously installed the ubuntu fglrx packages: linux-restricted-modules and xorg-driver-fglrx. I have still not yet installed fglrx-kernel-source.
    Last edited by ehula; June 9th, 2006 at 06:08 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by ehula
    OK. After compiling, I have three new .debs:
    kernel-image
    kernel-headers
    fglrx-kernel

Which do I install? Do I install the fglrx-kernel? Remember, I had previously installed the ubuntu fglrx packages: linux-restricted-modules and xorg-driver-fglrx. I have still not yet installed fglrx-kernel-source.
    You would install your kernel_image first, then your kernel-headers, and finally fglrx-kernel.

Beans
    Hidden!

You would install your kernel_image first, then your kernel-headers, and finally fglrx-kernel.
    I'm not completely sure I understand how to set up the fglrx driver to work under the new kernel. So far, I have followed what you have said...left the restricted modules and the xorg-driver-fglrx as is from the original Dapper install. I have compiled the kernel and installed kernel-image and kernel-headers, but when I try to install fglrx-kernel, this is what I get:

$ sudo dpkg -i fglrx-kernel-2.6.16-ck12_8.25.18-1+ck12_i386.deb
    (Reading database ... 173821 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace fglrx-kernel-2.6.16-ck12 8.25.18-1+ck12 (using fglrx-kernel-2.6.16-ck12_8.25.18-1+ck12_i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement fglrx-kernel-2.6.16-ck12 ...
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of fglrx-kernel-2.6.16-ck12:
    fglrx-kernel-2.6.16-ck12 depends on xorg-driver-fglrx (= 8.25.18-1); however:
    Version of xorg-driver-fglrx on system is 7.0.0-8.25.18+2.6.15.11-1.
    dpkg: error processing fglrx-kernel-2.6.16-ck12 (--install):
    dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    fglrx-kernel-2.6.16-ck12

Page 41 of 60 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast