Page 56 of 60 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 ... LastLast

Thread: How To Compile the new 2.6.16 kernel from kernel.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: How To Compile the new 2.6.16 kernel from kernel.org

Quote Originally Posted by [Yatta] View Post
    If you don't mind me asking what Distro will u be using now? Debian? Just wonderign still
    I am currently using Archlinux. I found that it meets my needs better and I feel that it is currently better then Ubuntu. That said, Ubuntu is still a fairly new Linux Distribution and has alot of potential. I am hoping to use Ubuntu when the Edgy is out, while still dualbooting with Arch. I want to thank Ubuntu for starting me out in the Linux world because I would have never made it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Is there anyway to add the usplash after I've compiled and installed? Or am I going to have to compile again?

I guess I forget to check "VESA VGA graphics support" and "framebuffer Console Rotation support," because all I get is a black screen during bootup and shutdown.
    I have always wished for a computer that would be as easy to use as my telephone. My wish came true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.
    --Bjarne Stroustrup

Beans

Ok Guys, very good tutorial. Really great. The compilation works fine, the system is very fast. But I'm having two problems (untill now): I can't access my USB card and my other two HDs. Ubuntu says that they're already mounted or busy.

I'm sure that I have not changed anything about USB and file systems supports. Any ideas?

I'm using kernel 2.6.17.6 .

Beans

I suggest you put "cd .." to change dir into /usr/src after the line in the instructions

15. Install the .deb fine in /usr/src. In terminal do

I had to download madwifi driver from http://madwifi.sf.net/, compile, install, and reboot. Then it worked on my Pentium III desktop and Pentium 4 laptop. Very satisfying. Thanks to the instructions.

Beans

This ia a great how, I was able to update my kernel many times by following this guide, but since I couldn't get my broadcom 3418 card working I decided to go back to 2.2.16.

Thank you, It was fun!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Exclamation Re: How To Compile the new 2.6.16 kernel from kernel.org

Hey, your how-to is wonderful! Everyone who's intermediate in linux should read it. I came from a Slackware world and imagine we can't recompile kernels in Ubuntu. Happily I was wrong. I've followed these steps and have the last kernel.org one runnig here (2.6.17.9, I think). But something went wrong. I can't connect the network, however the correct modules were loaded on boot (weird, isn't it?). I used the ubuntu's config to compile the kernel.

When I get into gnome, I get the following message from network applet:

Erro SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device contact your network administrator

I can ping my machine, the eth1 is up on "ifconfig -a", but, for some reason, it can't reach the gateway. When I try to ping it, the computer says the network is unreacheable...

Could someone help me with this issue?

Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by OPaul View Post
    Is there anyway to add the usplash after I've compiled and installed? Or am I going to have to compile again?

I guess I forget to check "VESA VGA graphics support" and "framebuffer Console Rotation support," because all I get is a black screen during bootup and shutdown.
    1. Boot into an old kernel.

2. Remove the new kernel.

3. cd into /usr/src

4. Enable Vesa Vga graphics and boot up logo support

5. build the kernel

this way you can keep your old configuration. If anyone is haveing trouble with bcm43xx kernel module, I will post another post on how to compile and use it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Hello, friends. I'm so glad I could put my Ubuntu box 100% working. I used this wonderful how-to and everything went well. First, I have troubles with my ethernet. So, I went to the config (make xconfig) and adapt the config to my system/hardware, excluding the things I wouldn't need. The problem with the Ethernet was an option unmarked that is referred to accept addresses by the gateway on boot...

If you are interested I could post somewhere my .config. Everything's working here, tooo faaast, mainly the internet (yep, guys, you were right about it), and I'm using Ubuntu 6.06.1 with kernel 2.6.17.9. I didn't apply any patch, but the system seems to go very well.

Thank you very much, guys!!!

Beans

Simply Amazing. I compiled kernel 2.6.17.11 with ck1 patch on a Pentium 4 prescott CPU and Ubuntu just flies! GDM on Nvidia starts in a fraction of a second, I can hardly see the ubuntu splash screen. I tried to install 686-smp kernel from the repository but it's nothing compared to this custom kernel.

Every user should recompile his/hers own kernel Luckly I read this thread because I was going to install Debian From Scratch or Gentoo.

PS: you souldn't need to copy .config file in the linux directory, xconfig will automatically fetch the configuration file from your latest kernel
    Last edited by Cubiq; August 25th, 2006 at 12:34 PM.

Beans

Question Re: How To Compile the new 2.6.16 kernel from kernel.org

I upgraded my kernel to the latest 2.6.17.xx and everything loads fine etc.. except when I try to run my video module installer it fails with the following:

Code:
    sudo module-assistant build,install fglrx

#This is the end of the output

/bin/sh:                                                                   
     │ /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.6.17.11/arch/ia64/scripts/toolchain-flags: No    
     │ such file or directory                                                     
     │ /bin/sh: /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.6.17.11/arch/ia64/scripts/check-gas:    
     │ No such file or directory                                                  
     │ make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernel-headers-2.6.17.11'            
     │                                                                            
     │   WARNING: Symbol version dump                                             
     │ /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.6.17.11/Module.symvers                           
     │            is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions.  
     │                                                                            
     │ ln: creating symbolic link `./Makefile.lib.c' to                           
     │ `../scripts/Makefile.lib.c': File exists
     │ make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.lib.c] Error 1                              
     │ make[1]: *** [_module_/usr/src/modules/fglrx] Error 2
    Any ideas anyone? Not sure why this is happening..

-Crypiejay
    HP Pavilion dv5030 Turion 2Ghz, 2 GIG memory, ATI 200M, 200 GIG, and "working most of the time" native linux broadcom driver
    Last edited by crypiejay; August 25th, 2006 at 10:09 PM. Reason: whoops

Page 56 of 60 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 ... LastLast