Page 39 of 60 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: How To Compile the new 2.6.16 kernel from kernel.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: How To Compile the new 2.6.16 kernel from kernel.org

Quote Originally Posted by bartman
    MasterChief, what about the first patch i linked to?

Or should I just forget about the 2.6.16.20 version and go for 2.6.16 with ck patches for speed?
    I think that you should forget about the patch. I don't use them because I feel that I if I am custom compiling a kernel, I should do it on my own. Your not missing out on much performance gain by patching your kernel. You can get the same performance by choosing certain options in xconfig.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

First of all I got the 2.6.16 kernel from www.kernel.org, to the source of which I applied two patchsets:
    - patch-2.6.16-ck12.bz2 (speed optimizations)
    - linux-phc-0.2.4.tar.gz (undervolting support for Centrino/Sonoma laptops)

I then modified the voltage table of my Pentium M 770 in /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/speedstep-centrino.c to stable undervolted values, which I got from my undervolting experience in Windows but the knowledge from Gentoo forums.

After disabling unneeded parts (SCSI, RAID) and enabling VESA VGA support of the kernel I compiled it, which took 22m27.981s ! A 4 minute increase from my previous attempt, but that one didn't boot.

So after a reboot the machine booted faster, usplash isn't there, only my wireless card didn't completely work. I noticed that in dmesg there were complaints about missing firmware files so I quickly copied them over to a new folder in /lib/firmware:
    Code:
    $ cd /lib/firmware/
    $ sudo mkdir `uname -r`
    $ sudo cp ./2.6.<version-of-previous-kernel-i-was-using>/ipw2200* ./`uname -r`/
    After that a simple module removal/insertion:
    Code:
    $ sudo modprobe -r ipw2200
    $ sudo modprobe ipw2200
    And to check if the wireless interface started:
    Code:
    $ dmesg | grep ipw
    The device starts, scanning works, however it will not associate with any access point, even though i command it to with
    Code:
    $ sudo iwconfig eth0 essid <name> ap <MAC-address>
    EDIT: Nevermind, it works like a charm.
    There is, however, no console output, e.g. when i change to console with ctrl+alt+f8 there is just a blank screen! I didn't notice it before because the new ubuntu splash screen was over it. I thought I had followed the tips from the first page of this thread but apparently I missed some kenrel options. But now at least I know what is wrong!

Thank you MasterChief1234 for this wonderful and easy to follow guide!
    Last edited by bartman; June 7th, 2006 at 08:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Is this kernel ever going to be included in an update to breezy or are you forced to upgrade to dapper to get an updatable kernel? (as far as the update manager / synaptic is concerned)
    Last edited by talz13; June 7th, 2006 at 08:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by talz13
    Is this kernel ever going to be included in an update to breezy or are you forced to upgrade to dapper to get an updatable kernel? (as far as the update manager / synaptic is concerned)
    No, this kernel will never be included in Breezy or Dapper. About halfway through the development process of a new Ubuntu version, a kernel freeze happens. This means that the current kernel will remain the default kernel included and supported by Ubuntu. I believe Breezy uses the 2.6.12 kernel (I think that it is updated due to a security problem) and Dapper uses the 2.6.15 kernel with patches from 2.6.16 (stable) and 2.6.17. (still in development)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

How do you apply the 2.6.17 patch?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Please note that it is unstable but I have used release canidates and they were fine. Download the 2.6.17-rc6 patch from kernel.org and then follow my tutorial up to the part where you patch the kernel. Change the command to the path of the file.

It would look something like this:
    bzcat /home/$USER/patch-2.6.17-rc6.bz2| patch -p1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief1234
    .... and Dapper uses the 2.6.15 kernel with patches from 2.6.16 (stable) and 2.6.17. (still in development)
    How much of .16 is in Dapper? Is there a list of what patches are included?

Also, is a .deb possible to streamline the installation through the Synaptic Package Manager?
    I have always wished for a computer that would be as easy to use as my telephone. My wish came true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.
    --Bjarne Stroustrup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Please note that it is unstable but I have used release canidates and they were fine. Download the 2.6.17-rc6 patch from kernel.org and then follow my tutorial up to the part where you patch the kernel. Change the command to the path of the file.

It would look something like this:
    I know.

Still, I want to try it, because I have a broadcom card in my laptop.

What should I do on this part?

Code:
    william@crafford:~$ bzcat /home/william/patch-2.6.17-rc6.bz2| patch -p1
    can't find file to patch at input line 5
    Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
    The text leading up to this was:
    --------------------------
    |diff --git a/.gitignore b/.gitignore
    |index 3f8fb68..27fd376 100644
    |--- a/.gitignore
    |+++ b/.gitignore
    --------------------------
    File to patch:
    Last edited by massivevoid; June 7th, 2006 at 10:23 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by OPaul
    How much of .16 is in Dapper? Is there a list of what patches are included?

I really can't say, sorry...

Also, is a .deb possible to streamline the installation through the Synaptic Package Manager?

What exactly do you mean ? Take a new kernel and put it in the repositories or already have a .deb file. This tutorial allows you to build a debian file so you can install it.
    I answered in the quotes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

What exactly do you mean ? Take a new kernel and put it in the repositories or already have a .deb file. This tutorial allows you to build a debian file so you can install it.
    Put it in the universe repository (sorry, I assumed the repositories were .deb files). I may not understand how the kernel is compiled, so it may just be a stupid question. But whenever a new patch for .15 comes out, it's available in the repositories, so is it possible to have .16 in there?
    I have always wished for a computer that would be as easy to use as my telephone. My wish came true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.
    --Bjarne Stroustrup

Page 39 of 60 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast